This part of the walk takes us down Bath Street (bottom to top of the map below) from Providence Place to Adcock’s Yard, opposite to Wilton Place.
Mrs. Calladine’s greengrocery shop was next, …..
Adeline’s ‘Mrs. Calladine’ was probably the second wife of Bath Street confectioner Thomas.
She was born Mary Rigley in 1820, the daughter of coalminer James and Mary (nee Hart) and married Thomas in April 1853, a few months after the death of his first wife Hannah (nee Henshaw), the sister of Bath Street fishmonger William.
The Derby Mercury of 1859 refers to T Calladine, greengrocer of Ilkeston.
……..and then we come to Mr. Kelly’s furniture shop at 43 Bath Street (1871)
Henry Kelly was a son of higgler Timothy and Elizabeth (nee Bradley) and a brother of Club Row brickmaker William.
The whole of his adult life was lived in Bath Street where he traded as a joiner and later cabinet maker.
His wife was Sarah Ann (nee Boam) whom he married in 1845.
In 1880 Henry was awarded a contract by the Local Board to supply the Town Hall with a number of stained and varnished seats with backs, at 28s each.
He had two daughters and one son.
His two daughters were Louisa and Elizabeth Ann while his son was Henry junior.
The elder daughter became Mrs. Fullwood.
Louisa became ‘Mrs. Fullwood’ when she married joiner Moses Fullwood in 1871.
Lizzie was a teacher in the Church Girls’ School.
Elizabeth Ann became ‘Mrs. Hale’ when she married blacksmith George in 1875 and then went to live with him in his birthplace at Ropley in Hampshire.
Harry followed in his father’s footsteps.
Like his father, youngest child Henry was attached to Bath Street and remained there to live and work until he died, unmarried, in May 1910, aged 53 — at 106 Bath Street.
In 1897 he had been awarded a patent for ‘improvements in fixing socket castors to the legs of sofas, couches, chairs and the like’.
Henry senior died at his Bath Street home in July 1891, aged 64. His wife Sarah Ann had died there in October 1882.
Then came three cottages.
1] The Campbells and Sowrays
Mr. and Mrs. Campbell, with their daughter and her husband, Mr. and Mrs. Sowery, lived in the (first cottage) … at 44 Bath Street (1871).
‘Mr. And Mrs. Campbell’ were tailor Jesse (brother of William, tailor, turnpike toll collector and town ‘poet laureate’?) and his wife Ann (nee Smith) who married in 1835.
Jesse traded in the Market Place area but he died in 1849. Adeline is therefore probably recalling his widow Ann who subsequently moved from the Market Place into Bath Street.
The 1851 census finds her there with children John, Catherine and Elizabeth, and lodger John Sowray, plumber, glazier and painter from Anstone, Yorkshire.
Ten years earlier plumber John Sowray was an apprentice with Andrew Shaw, plumber and glazier of Church Lane, Belper, but by 1847 was in Ilkeston.
John Cartwright recounted the following…
“In (Mr. Thomas Merry’s) employ was Mr. John Pearson, who was in the chemist’s shop, and who was apprenticed with the late Mr. Phillip Brooks, of Sadlergate Bridge, Derby, and his parents were the late Mr. and Mrs. Pearson, of the Chilwell Nurseries.
“On the 12th February 1847, Mr. Pearson (who was only 22), Mr. Wm. Attenborough, Mr. John Sowery (sic), and another young man visited Shipley for the purpose of enjoying the exhilarating recreation of skating on the well-known water there. Unfortunately poor Pearson fell where the ice was thinnest, and all the efforts of his companions failed to save him”. (1892)
In 1861 John Sowray was still living at the Campbell household in Bath Street and it was in August of the following year that he married Catherine Campbell.
Their daughters Norah Annie, Margaret Ellen, Florence Kate, and Mary Elizabeth, and son Charles, were born before father John Sowray died in Bath Street in January 1874, aged 48.
Their daughter Mary Elizabeth died in 1875, aged 4, of scarlet fever.
John’s widow Catherine continued to live in Ilkeston and died in Station Road in November 1915, aged 75.
Of the two other Campbell children …..
John, painter and decorator, married Hannah Fitchett of Derby in 1862 and traded in Ilkeston. He died in Burr Lane in October 1896, aged 58, from bronchitis.
John’s widow Hannah died in November 1904, aged 64, at her home in Taylor Street.
Elizabeth went into service.
2. Tailor Bill Bailey
Mr. Bailey, tailor, wife, son William and daughter Lizzie, lived in the next house. .. at 45 Bath Street (1871).
Heanor-born William Bailey was the son of James and Hannah (nee Whiteman?), and like his father, was a tailor by trade.
He married Sarah Lebeter, daughter of collier Richard and Mary (nee Robinson) in September 1842.
Of their children, Adeline recalls only son William, also a tailor, and youngest child Lizzie who in 1876 married Daniel Clements. Four years and two children later, Lizzie was a widow. But within three years she was married again, to coalminer William Henry Breedon, and left Ilkeston to live at Pilsley, near William Henry’s home town of Clay Cross.
One of Lizzie’s older sisters was Mary Ann who in 1865 married Cotmanhay coalminer Herbert Fisher alias Stirland, the illegitimate son of Cotmanhay framework knitter John Stirland and Hannah Fisher. His parents married on Christmas day 1854, over ten years after his birth, and by which time his mother was blind.
Mary Ann died in February 1884, aged 37, from bronchitis.
Lizzie’s other sister, Jane Hannah, died in May 1851, from pneumonia, aged 2½.
Sarah Bailey died in May 1880 and husband William just two years later, both in Bath Street.
3. The versatile Charles Chadwick
Mr. Charles Chadwick lived in the (third cottage). … at 46 Bath Street (1871).
Variously described as butcher, assistant overseer, land surveyor, accountant and clerk, Charles Chadwick of Ilkeston Common, was the son of stocking weaver Charles and Mary (nee Richards) and a younger brother of James whom we met at the beginning of our walk up the east side of Bath Street.
In July 1834 Charles married Mary Hives, daughter of John and Dorothy (nee Smith), just three months after the death of his bride’s father.
From 1853 to 1855 Charles acted as clerk and agent to Joseph Shaw, solicitor of Rotten Row, Derby …. and Charles might have later claimed that there was something ‘rotten’ about the solicitor. He and his brother-in-law Thomas Hives of the Rutland Arms Hotel, were drawn into a financial scandal in the late 1850’s and they both put the blame for it firmly on the shoulders of the Derby solicitor. (See the Rutland Arms).
There were seven girls and one boy. If there were any more children they must have died in infancy.
[In the first 20 years of their marriage Charles and Mary had at least ten children, Edgar being the only son.]
Ann, the eldest, married Mr. Spencer, a machinist at Ball’s. He was also a bellringer.
Eldest child Ann Hives Chadwick (born in 1834) married Amos Spencer, lacemaker of Park Road and son of Benjamin and Ann (nee Harrison) in August 1852, and they spent the majority of their lives together at 5 Severn’s Yard, where Amos died in April 1893, aged 61.
Ann died in May 1902 at 22 Hobson’s Drive, the home of her daughter Agnes Emma and her husband James Bostock.
Elizabeth (1836) married lacemaker Reuben Davis in March 1859. She died in New Jersey, U.S.A. in May 1879.
Kate became Mrs. Wheeldon, Long Eaton.
Catherine (1838) married in September 1862 to Henry Wheeldon, lacemaker son of lacemaker father William and Mary (nee Birkin) of Derby Road and later Oxford Street. After homes in Nottingham and Brightside Bierlow, they settled in Upper Wellington Street, Long Eaton.
Harriet married Mr. Needham, a machinist, of Nottingham.
Harriet (1840) married Nottingham-born lace draughtsman William Walter Needham in 1869 and she too spent the last years of her life in Long Eaton.
Maria (1843) married labourer William Kerry in 1865.
Edgar, the son, went abroad.
Mystery alert! And what happened to only son Edgar?
On the 1861 census he appears as a 16-year-old at the Bath Street family home.
“Go West, young man!” and it seems that Edgar did.
I offer this list of information as a suggestion …..
In 1867 22-year-old labourer Edgar Chadwick was a passenger on the ‘Tripoli’ departing from Liverpool bound for the U.S.A. where he arrived on September 26th.
On the 1870 United States census – taken on August 16th — he appears in King’s County, Brooklyn, New York, as a 25-year old clerk (dry goods) with his Irish-born wife Margaret Jane. The census also indicates that they were married in October of 1869.
Margaret Jane died at Albany, New York, in February 1873.
By the June 1880 census I believe he had moved to Louisville/Jefferson County, Kentucky – as ‘E H Chadwick’ (Edgar Hives?) – a superintendent in wholesale dry goods, with his second wife Mary (nee Stafford?) and 10-month old daughter Mary R., both born in New York.
In February 1884 ‘Edgar H’ married Gertrude Butler – his third wife — daughter of wagon maker Joel C and Susan, at Holt, Missouri and made their home there.
Thus in June 1900 Edgar is still in Craig City, Holt County, Missouri, again as ‘E H Chadwick’ working as an ‘agent’. The census indicates that he was born in England in March 1835 now aged 65!!
With him are his third wife, ‘E G’ (Emily Gertrude), and four daughters from this marriage. They are Clara Belle (aged 15), Beula (aged 14), Fern L (aged 11) and Grace W (aged 7), all born in Missouri.
And ten years later – April 1910 — the family had moved to Oklahoma with an additional daughter, (Olive, born about 1904 in Missouri), but Edgar has ‘lost’ his additional years from the previous census and is still aged 65!!
And in Oklahoma the family stayed.
Edgar died between 1920 and 1930.
Emma was in domestic service at St. Leonard’s-on-Sea, and, I think, married Mr. Heritage.
Emma (1847) was for a time chambermaid at the Rutland Arms Hotel before moving down to London. For many years both before and after her marriage she was domestic cook for banker James Fletcher and his family in that city.
In 1885 she had married William Heritage.
Jane was a schoolmistress, went to Sheffield, and married Mr. Carl Wright, a widower with one little boy.
Jane (1849) married Sheffield-born widowed National schoolmaster Charles Wright in June 1876 and moved into Yorkshire where she also worked as a school teacher.
Ellen became the wife of Mr. W. Winant, an engine driver.
Ellen Alice (1852) married William Wimant, railway fireman, in February 1875 and went to live in Nottingham before returning to Ilkeston with her family by the end of the century, to live in St. Mary Street.
Clara, the youngest, married Mr. W. Craddock, draper.
Clara (1855) opened a millinery business in August 1877 with Adeline Columbine, trading as ‘Misses Chadwick and Columbine’, at 89A Bath Street — where she had just moved with her widowed mother. This house had previously been the premises of George Ball and his wife, also a milliner. The partnership was dissolved in February 1879, (as the Columbine family was about to leave for Nottingham?)
In January 1880 Clara married draper William Eley Craddock of Church Gresley near Burton — though born in Marlpool — son of joiner Jeremiah and Ann (nee Eley). For a time they continued to live with Clara’s widowed mother until the latter died in April 1882.
Clara and her husband traded as milliners and drapers in Bath Street before moving to Swadlincote with their three children by the end of the century.
William Eley died there in 1908 and Clara in 1917.
(*I have reversed the order of these three cottages because in her original description Adeline was taking us up Bath Street but we are walking down Bath Street.)
Yes, yet more nebulous Harrison’s!!
Grocer William Harrison arrived in the town in the early 1850’s, swopping Butt Lane in Warsop for Bath Street in Ilkeston.
He was born in South Collingham, Nottinghamshire about 1795, the son of William and Priscilla (nee Stevenson) and had married Mansfield-born Lydia Alsop in 1827. She was the daughter of Peter and Sarah (nee March).
The 1861 census locates them in close proximity to the Adcock family (of Adcock’s Yard off Bath Street) and from their arrival in Ilkeston and the throughout the 1860’s they traded in Bath Street.
William died in that street in January 1870, aged 74, and his widow Lydia then moved into Market Street with her unmarried Bonsall-born niece Martha Alsop, daughter of Henry and Sarah (nee Alsop) – Sarah was Lydia’s younger sister.
Lydia died there in June 1873, aged 73.
The Straw school
A house used as a Girls’ School, kept by the (two) Misses Straw, of Straw’s Brig (sic), (the old Moor Brig ) Derby Road … opposite the business establishment of Mr. Woolliscroft.
The Straw family was that of canal agent Samuel and Sarah (nee Rowland) who married at Greasley Parish Church in June 1813 and came to live in Moors Bridge Lane (later Derby Road) in the 1840’s.
Adeline’s description would place the school just before the entrance to Adcock’s Yard, later known as Bonsall Place.
The property of Thomas Riley
Just prior to the entrance to Adcock’s Yard, on its south side, was property long owned by butcher Thomas Riley, son of Thomas senior and Sarah (nee Critchley).
Thomas had married Hannah Walker in 1808 and their eldest surviving son was Edwin whom we met at the Horse and Groom Inn in Nottingham Road.
Another son was William the ‘unfortunate butcher’ of Bath Street whom we have also met.
In 1824, the year following his first wife’s death, Thomas married Elizabeth ‘Nelly’ Booley of Shipley and had at least five more children .. all girls.
From the Bath Street entrance to Thomas’s property you passed down a narrow alley about six feet wide into an open yard, about 18-20 feet wide, which led eventually to a garden.
Thomas owned the land on both sides of the alley .. he built a house on its south side in which he lived for a time before building a second property on the north side in 1851. This then became the family home while the first house was let out. Over the alley was built an archway which thus allowed Thomas to extend his house over the alley.
When butcher Thomas died in September 1862 he left the whole of his property to his wife Nelly for the rest of her life. Upon her death the property was to pass to their eldest child Elizabeth who in 1855 had married Irish-born James Mockler, the vicar of St. Mary’s Church in Denby (since 1845)
Nelly died in January 1875 but by that time her daughter Elizabeth had also died (1870) and so the property passed to Nelly’s grand-daughter Elizabeth Ellen Sophia Mockler, who until 1879 was still a minor.
Shortly after Nelly’s death the will trustee was directed to sell one of the properties. The house on the south side was bought by Samuel Smedley, agent for the Prudential Assurance Company. A short time later the house on the north side was sold to Moses Fulwood, joiner and fishmonger.
And we arrive at Adcock’s Yard.
or go to the Grand Tour