On the east side of Stanton Road, before you reached the new Havelock Inn, were two cottages facing the road.
In the lower one lived Mr. and Mrs. Cartwright, parents of Mrs. W. Gregory, of South Street.
At number 7 Stanton Road in 1871 was widow Catherine Cartwright and grand-daughter Agnes Gregory.
Mrs. Cartwright placed a few bottles of sweets in her cottage window, hoping by this way to increase their meagre income.
William and Richard Cartwright were sons of Attenborough miller Edward and Mary (nee Hubbard).
The younger son William, also a miller, was the first Cartwright to arrive at South Street, Ilkeston about 1840 from Hucknall Torkard where he had married Elizabeth Allcock, daughter of William and Amy (nee Park), in 1832.
The couple were accompanied by their four children and stayed a very short time but long enough for son Thomas to be born in the town.
About 1841 they returned to Hucknall Torkard before moving a few miles eastwards to Epperstone in the late 1840’s.
As William was leaving the town, miller brother Richard arrived from Eastwood to South Street with his wife Catherine (nee Swanwick), daughter of George and Martha (nee Scrimshaw), and accompanied by their five children.
Richard was perhaps replacing his brother in looking after Hobson’s mill in Stanton Road.
It is Richard and Catherine who are Adeline’s ‘Mr and Mrs Cartwright’ and their eldest child Martha was the wife of William Gregory on the west side of South Street.
Their Eastwood-born son John Cartwright has made several contributions to this profile.
Richard Cartwright died in Stanton Road, aged 73, in November 1863 and his widow Catherine died there in September 1875, aged 74.
The two cottages in a garden, and facing south, had as tenants Mr. and Mrs. Smith.
Coalminer Samuel Smith and family were at number 4.
Samuel was born in Cotmanhay in 1829, son of agricultural labourer William and Lydia (nee Limb).
He possibly moved into the Stanton Road area after his 1854 marriage to Catherine Straw who had been brought up in this lane by her parents, sawyer William and Catherine (nee White).
However less than a year later Catherine was dead, following the birth of son William Henry in February 1855.
In 1859 Samuel Smith married again, to Fanny Smith, daughter of Lincolnshire boatman — but Ilkeston-born — Samuel and Mary.
The couple remained in Stanton Road and Samuel died there in February 1898 — at what was then number 18.
Fanny died there in July 1908, aged 67.
… and Burrows.
Higher up was the old cottage with gable to the road, here lived Mr. and Mrs. Amos (?) Burrows, their two daughters, Sarah and Eliza, and their son Amos.
At number 3 was Isaac Burrows, framework knitter son of John and Elizabeth (nee Wilcox) who settled in Stanton Road — his cousin Amos was living in South Street.
Isaac’s wife — whom he married in May 1841 — was born Mary Siddons, daughter of John and Sarah (nee Berry) and there were at least nine children including Eliza Ann but no daughter Sarah or son Amos.
Several children died in infancy but sons John and Aaron and daughters Caroline and Eliza Ann survived into adulthood.
In 1874 at the age of 19 Eliza Ann Smith gave birth to illegitimate son John at Number 3 Stanton Road and four years later, when Eliza Ann married coalminer Edward Shelton, her son John also became a ‘Shelton’.
And there were many Straws of Stanton Road.