The Grand Tour
A walk around Mid-Victorian Ilkeston, based on the recollections of Adeline Wells (1854-1944).
Edited and extended by Dave Johnson.
Up the East Side of Bath Street
‘In Bath Street (in 1850) one could walk along without any fear of being jostled’ but walking up it could still wear you out.
This part of our walk takes us from the bottom of Bath Street to present-day Northgate Street.
The Local Board
From 1864 until 1887 ‘the officials running the business of the town were embodied in the Ilkeston (Local) Board’.
Onwards, upwards and round the corner
This part of the walk continues up Bath Street, past Wilton Place and into Station Road – originally named New Street – which we explore before returning to Bath Street.
Station Road corner … Joseph Fletcher, William Wade, Joseph Haynes
Up Bath Street to Jack Lee’s Yard
We now walk out of Station Road and back into Bath Street, continuing our journey towards the Market Place but pausing at Albion Place/Jack Lee’s Yard. First we must make our way to Chapel Street.
To Chapel Street … William Tarlton, Aldreds, Tilsons and Henshaws, Argyle’s tin shop
Into Chapel Street … Samuel Bostock, Watsons and Woolleys, the Flower Pot, Smiths, Flinders, Richard Blake
From Jack Lee’s Yard to East Street
The last leg of our climb from Albion Place to East Street brings us into contact with some more notable Ilkestonians.
There was no carriage road leading from Bath Street to Cossall. All such traffic went through East Street, Burr Lane, along the narrow road, over the Canal and Erewash.
We now walk down East Street to High Street.
End of East Street … Thomas Meakin, James Goddard, William Attenborough
Burr Lane and Albion Place
Here Adeline is describing a time when Burr Lane began at approximately what is now the car park at the rear of the Albion Centre….so the eastern (lower) half of today’s East Street was then part of Burr Lane.
Into Burr Lane … James Warner, Enoch Waters, The Gladstone Inn, Lucy Walls, and Robert Walker.
Anchor Row … Hithersay, Sudbury, Turton and Lacey
St. Mary’s Church
The noble church of St. Mary, which is a landmark for the surrounding country, has always been with us and we are proud in being able to call it ‘Our Church’. Our Vicar was Canon Searl Ebsworth.
Education in Ilkeston
We shall pause at this point to reflect upon education within the town, the people connected with it, and the schools which provided it, many of them built in the Market Place area.
Around the Market Place
As we stand in the Market Place we have now reached the pinnacle of the town, and time for another pause.
Matthew Hobson and apprentice ….. the Hobson family, Paul Hodgkinson
West Side stories; Act 1
Starting from the Town Hall, we will now walk along the west side of South Street to Queen Street.
Quiet South Street … John Mellor, Ilkeston Bank, William Frost
The Daykin family
West Side stories; Act 2
Into Queen Street
We now leave South Street for a time to look into the Queen Street area.
Frank Hallam’s Row … John Flint Walker, George Elsey, Potters, George Wright, Tilsons, John Parkinson Mee
Back to South Street
This part of the walk takes in the short journey from Queen Street to the Wesleyan Chapel in South Street.
The old white house … the Sudbury family, George Flint
A row of houses…Clark, Smith, Rowley, Daykin, Gregory
The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Like her father and other immediate family members, Adeline was a member of the Wesleyan Methodist Church and consequently writes at greater length about this church than any other. It should be remembered that many of the events she describes happened before her birth or when she was a very young child.
To the Toll Bar
Stanton Road was very quiet.
Nottingham Road part 1
A touch of Frost at Hunger Hill
Most of the content of this section is the work of Alan Smith
Nottingham Road part 2
White Lion Square and streets off
We shall now walk around White Lion Square and take brief detours into Park Road, Market and Extension Streets.
East side of South Street
Not only will we take in this side of South Street, from White Lion Square to the Market Place, but also several of the yards and walkways off that street. We start at the Toll Bar.
Bath Street – west side, south end
We are now walking from the Old Harrow Inn, down Bath Street, on the left hand side until we reach the Spring Cottage beerhouse.
The top end … William Rose, James Turton, William Fritchley
To Mount Street … Charles Chadwick, Elijah Higgett, Joseph Hallam , John McKenna and George Purcell.
Jonty’s neighbours … the Fox family, Tommy Hinds
Two bankrupt tradesmen … John Norton Hickman, Thomas Small, George Barker, the Wood brothers
Fletcher’s factory and the Wesleyan Church and the Beardsley family at the Spring Cottage Inn
Bath Street – west side, north end
This part of the west side of Bath Street takes in the section from Spring Lane to the bottom of the road. We start at the Primitive Methodist Chapel.
The Primitive Methodist chapel and Daykins Row
The Poplar Inn .. the Ebbern family, Samuel Robinson, Potter’s stackyard
Going beyond Bath Street
Sources, references, abbreviations, further information and reading, and all that sort of stuff