This census was taken on the night of Sunday, April 7th 1861, and its reference index/PRO class number is RG9.
(RG stands for Registrar General.)
In this census the following information of an individual can be found:
- forename and surname
- relationship to the household head
- marital status, usually for adults above 16 years old
- age (at last birthday)
- occupation/ source of income, if any
- county and parish of birth
- country of birth if outside of England and Wales
- whether suffering from certain disabilities… blind or ‘deaf and dumb’.
An address was usually given for each schedule number and this could vary in detail. It may be, for example, just be ‘Cotmanhay’ or ‘Little Hallam’, but often it gave the street name. House numbers were rare until the 1871 census.
Ilkeston (including Cotmanhay) was covered by nine enumeration districts, numbered 7 to 15.
They were included in order into two census Pieces, numbered 2436 and 2437.
Also included were areas of Nottinghamshire….Cossall and Trowell.
When searching for an individual or family in the 1861 census, you may have a reference RG9/2436/42
- RG9 refers to the year of the census
- 2436 tells you that this part of the census covers Ilkeston and district (as does 2437).
- 42 is the folio number….your person / household will be found on the two pages of this folio.
If you also have the schedule number then you can locate the individual or family immediately (Note that the schedule number is not a house number)
I have included a version of the complete Ilkeston census but as some of you might find it difficult to navigate this I have also broken the census down into its relevant Enumeration Districts. (see below)
On the site there is also an alphabetical list of the people listed in this census with notes on many of them, compiled from the same sources. Again I have included a full list which I have then also broken down into sections.
Part of the parish of Ilkeston (forming part of the Ecclesiastical district of Shipley and Cotmanhay) bounded on the North by the Parish of Shipley, on the East by the River Erewash on the West by the Turnpike Road from Ilkeston to Heanor, and on the South by lands in the occupation of John Henshaw and of Robert Skeavington and by the Bridle road to Awsworth, including Potters Row, the Poundalls, the Parsonage Henshaw yard, the Twitchell, Botany Bay, Evans Fish Pond and John Potters Farm, and Adjacent Colliery.
The enumerator was John Knighton (painter of Cotmanhay?) who listed 593 persons, including four in a boat.
There were 114 inhabited houses, three uninhabited houses, and one coal barge.
Part of the Parish Of Ilkeston (also forming part of the Ecclesiastical Parish of Shipley and Cotmanhay) bounded on the north by the public road, from Shipley Lodge Gates, to Botany Bay, and the Bridle road to Awsworth, as far as the river Erewash, on the South by Sick Dyke and Longdons Farm, on the East by the River Erewash, and on the west by land in the occupation of Robert Skeavington, Mr Ash and Thomas Pollard, comprising Beers Lane, The Folly, Hallesworth Row, Mount Pleasant, Wheatleys Row, Sissons Row, and all the houses on the south side of the road to Botany Bay as far as the bridge.
The enumerator was Thomas Barker, lace maker of Albion Place, who listed 696 persons and two not inhabitants but temporarily present.
There were 152 habited houses and one uninhabited house.
Part of the Parish of Ilkeston (forming the remaining part of the Ecclesiastical District of Shipley and Cotmanhay), bounded on the South by Grass Lane, Duke Street, and the Road to the Potteries, on the East by the River Erewash, on the West by the turnpike road from Ilkeston to Heanor, and on the North by Sick Dyke, Longdon’s Farm, and part of the Bridle road, comprising the Gate House, Robert Stensons, Job Fishers, Rutland Cottage, Grass Lane, Charlotte Street, the north side of Duke Street, Primrose Hill, Longdons Farm House, and William Horridge’s.
The enumerator was William Mellor, butcher of Granby Street, who listed 638 persons including seven in boats.
There were 130 inhabited houses, four uninhabited houses and two boats.
Part of the Parish of Ilkeston bounded on the North by Duke Street on the East by the river Erewash on the South by Burr Lane Norman Cottage Land and part of the Park Farm and on the West by the Foot road from Burr Lane to Cotmanhay Road and by Cotmanhay Road including the Upper Whitehead Close, Pigstye Park both sides of Awsworth Road to the Common Ebenezer Terrace the South side of Duke Street The Potteries Ropery Babington Wharf Rutland Wharf, the Steam Mill and Mrs Dixions (sic).
The enumerator was Moses Mason, tallow chandler of Bath Street, who listed 1172 person, including 14 in boats.
There were 251 inhabited houses, 16 uninhabited houses and three houses being built.
Part of the parish of Ilkeston, extending from the west end of Chapel St to Charlotte St and Grass Lane on the north, bounded on the east by middle road, and by the foot road from thence to Burr Lane, and on the west by the river Nutbrook, comprising both sides of Bath St, from the end of Chapel St, Manor Houses, New St both sides, Belvoir Terrace, Brussels Terrace, Rutland St, Mundy St, Bower Hill, Workhouse Hill, Back Lane and Mr John Taylor’s Farm.
The enumerator was William Riley, butcher of Bath Street, who listed 1309 persons.
There were 274 inhabited houses and 17 uninhabited houses.
Part of the Parish of Ilkeston, from and including the Kings Head Inn to Chapel Street, and Norman Cottages, the North Side of the Market Place, both sides of Bath Street as far as Chapel Street, Mount Street both sides, Club Row, Bunker’s Hill, Chapel Street both sides, South Terrace, Burr Lane both sides to Albion Place, and John Lee’s Yard inclusive.
The enumerator was Nathaniel B. Gill, surgeon of High Street, who listed 1028 persons.
There were 219 inhabited houses, 27 uninhabited houses and one house being built.
Part of the Parish of Ilkeston, bounded on the West by South Street, on the North by East Street. and the foot road from East Street to Burr Lane, on the East by the River Erewash and on the South by Sough Closes, Park Road and the upper part of Nottingham Road, comprising East side of South Street, The Toll Bar, both sides of Nottingham Road as far as Park Road (the White Lion Inn G Bailey farm house excluded), Evan’s Row, Park Road both sides, Sough Closes, Old Mill, The Park, Larklands, Extension Street both sides, Market Street, The Cricket Ground, The Vicarage, East Side of the Market Place, Anchor Row, Dalby House, High Street, both sides East Street, Burr Lane both sides as far as Dodson House inclusive.
The enumerator was Richard Vickerstaff, Poor Rates collector of the Lawn, who listed 1124 persons.
There were 218 inhabited houses and 20 uninhabited houses.
Part of the Parish of Ilkeston bounded on the West by the river Nutbrooke, on the East by South Street and Stanton Road, on the South by Little Hallam, and on the North by Mr John Taylor’s Farm, including both sides of Stanton Road, Regent Street and Oxford Street, the West side of South Street, both sides of Belper Street and Moor’s Bridge Lane, Peewit Wharf, Pit and Farm, the Lawn, Pimlico to the Independent Chapel and both sides of Queen Street.
The enumerator was Richard Smith Potts, druggist and grocer of South Street, who listed 1003 persons including ten in boats.
There were 213 inhabited houses, 14 uninhabited houses and two boats.
Part of the Parish of Ilkeston mainly all that remaining part bounded on the East and South by the river Erewash, on the West and South by the river Nutbrook, on the North by Regent Street, by Park Road, and by Moors Bridge Lane, containing the Hamlet of Little Hallam, Severn’s Farm, Gallows Inn, Hungerhill, Kensington, the Nottingham Road as far as the White Lion, and Gilbert Baileys Farm both inclusive, and Wm Hobson’s House.
The enumerator was Ralph Shaw, saddler and harness maker of South Street, who listed 811 persons.
There were 178 inhabited houses and 20 uninhabited houses.
The Registrar of the area was George Blake Norman, surgeon and general practitioner of Dalby House in Anchor Row.
Richard Birch Spencer of Basford was the Superintendent Registrar.