We come again into South Street.
Past Weaver Row in South Street, on a plot of land, Mr. Francis Sudbury, senior, built three houses and a shop. Mr. Sudbury, with the remainder of his family moved into the house and shop.
Born in 1798 Francis Sudbury senior was a son of stockingweaver William and Sarah (nee Thompson) and married Ann Mather, daughter of George and Hannah (nee Hirst) in July 1826.
He thus acquired tailor Thomas Mather as a brother-in-law.
The 1841 census finds framework knitter Francis and Ann and their six children in Bath Street – a seventh child, daughter Sarah Ann had died in May 1840, aged four.
By 1846 the family had moved into South Street (Bagshaw’s Directory) and by 1850 Francis was a hosier and glove manufacturer (Slater’s Directory).
At that time the Sudbury family lived in the old white house opposite Weaver Row, and their warehouse or room for taking in the hose made by outside frame workers was a detached room against the house.
This room was afterwards Mr. Sudbury’s butchers shop, (on the north side of the Nag’s Head beerhouse)
later on it became Jacob Hawkins’ Cycle Store. (See Francis Sudbury moves in).
By 1861 Francis and family had moved from the ‘old white house’ on the west side of South Street to the ‘house and (grocer’s) shop’ opposite, on the east side, while his eldest son William was occupying the ‘old white house’
Francis senior died in South Street in November 1865 and his widow Ann continued to trade as the South Street grocer – at what was then 47 South Street (East side) — until her death in July 1874.
Their unmarried daughter Caroline and her sister Sarah Ann – the widow of George Evans — continued to live in this house after their mother’s death.
Caroline died in August 1877 and in February 1879 the premises — an eight-roomed house and large grocer’s shop — were put up to let.
Sarah Ann moved to the other side of South Street with her two sons, Frank and Ernest Evans.
(Francis’s) son William, the butcher who had married Miss Gamble, of Nottingham, took the white house, and opened the detached building as a butcher’s shop.
Born in 1829, the eldest son William was the butcher who married Mary Gamble, daughter of Robert, needlemaker later lacemaker, and Sally (nee Spencer) in 1851.
In the (later) 1860’s he moved to Oakwell Farm in Derby Road with Mary and their six children.
This building was afterwards utilised by Mr. Jake Hawkins, as a cycle store.
Jake or Jacob Hawkins, son of William the iron founder, was born in 1858 and traded as a gunsmith in Belper Street; only in 1894/95 did he move to 45 South Street, adding cycle maker to his trade.
The next house of the three was taken by Mr. William Merry, junior, who had married one of Mr. F. Sudbury’s daughters.
The third house was tenanted by Mr. Charles Sudbury, who had married Miss Marina Burgin.
We met the Sudbury family on the other side of South Street, just after the Queen Street entrance.
And we are now walking to Warner’s Yard.