leaving behind the Sudburys ….
Next came Warner’s block of houses.
These were on the south side of Burgin Yard, which ran from South Street to the Old Cricket Ground, along the line of what is now Coronation Street.
The cottages facing Warner’s Yard and South Street were built back to back, in a block, and their domestic offices were in a yard at the side of the old Chapel.
Miss Eliza Birch, sister to Mr. J. Birch, lived in the first one, with her mother, ….. in 1871 this was 44 South Street (East side).
Dressmaker Eliza Birch lived with her mother Eleanor (nee Shardlow) until the latter died on Christmas Day 1862, and she continued living in South Street until her own death in October 1871, aged 48.
and Miss Fritchley with her niece (cousin?) Emma in the second.
Both Miss Birch and Miss Fritchley were dressmakers.
The Harrison, Harrod and Co. Directory of 1860 lists Sarah Fritchley, milliner, in South Street.
This is possibly the daughter of Cossall farmer Richard and Hannah (nee Wheatley).
In May 1869 she married her first cousin, Bath Street grocer Thomas Dodson Fritchley, son of William and Ann (nee Dodson) and lived with him in Bath Street and later in Station Road.
She is then listed in Wright’s Directory of 1874 as ‘Mrs. Srh. Fritchley’, a dressmaker of Bath Street.
Puzzle alert!! Who is cousin/niece Emma?
Up Warner’s Yard lived Mr. and Mrs. Lane, builder, and their two little girls.
Mrs. Lane died of erysipelas.
These houses had not a vestige of back or front yard.
Coal and water in fact all the out-buildings were in the yard at the side of the old cricket ground chapel.
It seemed to me a funny thing that houses should be huddled together like they were without proper conveniences when so much land was available.
Born about 1831 in Nottingham, builder William Lane was a son of Ilkeston married couple, butcher and one-time beerhouse keeper Samuel and Hannah (nee Sills). He married Hannah Every (or Avery), daughter of Pleasley cotton spinner Samuel and Hannah (nee Wilson) in October 1856.
Their two ‘little girls’ were Emma and Ann.
Next was Warner’s house itself …… which in 1871 was 2 Burgin Yard.
Warner’s garden was parallel with the street, the wall was low, and the front of the Warner’s house facing south, stood in a very pleasant position.
Joiner and master builder Isaac Warner was born in 1801, the son of joiner Thomas and Ann.
His first wife – whom he married in January 1824 — was Mary Chadwick, daughter of rag merchant Charles and Mary (nee Richards) and the sister of James and Charles.
Before the marriage Mary gave birth to illegitimate son, William Warner Chadwick, in 1823 but he died almost three years later. Their legitimate daughter Salome died in October 1825, aged 1 year and six months.
After the marriage, their son William was born in 1826 and in later life he was to serve as his father’s active manager in the family building business.
Mary Warner died in July 1832, aged 32, and six years later Isaac married his second wife, Ann Burgin-Richardson, daughter of blacksmith James and Marinah (nee Smith).
She was also on her second spouse, being the widow of Roland Skevington.
Ann died at their South Street home in March 1865, aged 70, and in June 1872 Isaac married again, to spinster Ann Ridnell, one-time housekeeper to Admiral Sir George Mundy, son of Edward Millar Mundy of Shipley Hall.
Ann Ridnell was the daughter of house steward Michael and Elizabeth (nee Booley).
A staunch Tory ‘of the old school’, Isaac always showed an interest in town affairs, serving as a Churchwarden, overseer and member of the Local Board.
On Tuesday morning, January 12th 1875, Isaac had been around the town, inspecting several of his on-going building projects including the new National Schools, after which he had attended to business matters for the Duke of Rutland.
He dined at the Rutland Hotel at the bottom of Bath Street, and then at about two o’clock he began to walk home, accompanied by grocer Isaac Gregory. The pair chatted freely as they made their way from the Rutland Arms, walking up Bath Street.
Stopping opposite the Queen’s Head and close to grocer Isaac’s new shop they began to contemplate a nearby chimney, apparently the subject of a dispute between two property owners, when builder Isaac collapsed in the street.
A chair was brought to ease his distress but he died within a couple of minutes.
His body was immediately taken to his house where his wife Ann, awaited, already forewarned of the sad event.
A subsequent inquest returned a verdict of ‘Death from apoplexy’.
The Pioneer lauded Isaac’s character.
“In business ‘his word was his bond’– his integrity was unquestionable — and his general character unassailable.
He entered with spirit into public matters; but those with whom he differed most always respected the man, and prized his friendship. For many years he has been engaged as the builder, &c, on the Duke of Rutland’s Ilkeston estate; and the Town-hall, South-street Schools, Cotmanhay Free Church and Kensington Chapels, and many other works, will long bear witness to his character as a master who would have work ‘done well’”.
One other ‘work’ for which Isaac and his son William were responsible was the Unitarian Chapel in High Street, built in 1869.
John Francis Nash Eyre, vicar of St. Mary’s Church since 1873, also extolled Isaac’s virtue.
“He was a man of very high moral principle, one upon whose word you could rely; just, upright and honourable in all his dealings; honest in heart and purpose; a true Conservative, and a thorough Churchman…. When I came a stranger into this parish, he was the first whom I had reason to thank and esteem for his impartial judgment and sound advice in many important matters, and our friendship has continued unbroken”.
Isaac was buried at St. Mary’s Church on Friday afternoon, January 15th, and on the same day was joined there by two other old Ilkeston residents ….
Ann Flint (nee Hickson), aged 81 and South Street widow of tailor John,
and Nelly Riley (nee Booley), aged 78, the Bath Street widow of grocer Thomas.
They too had died on January 12th.
The day was “a solemn and monitory one for Church people and for parishioners generally. At the call to the morning and evening services on (the following) Sunday muffled peals were rung in memory of the deceased, and the Vicar in his sermons referred especially to the loss the Church had sustained by their removal from the Church militant”. (IP)
Isaac’s son William succeeded to the Warner building business.