The musical Wardles lived in a ‘garden cottage’ near the top of Nottingham Road.
The Warrens also lived in one of these garden houses.
Framework knitter William Warren was the eldest child of Charles and Martha (nee Bloor) and in April 1849 he married Hannah Syson, the illegitimate daughter of Hunger Hill lace mender Ruth.
Throughout most of their married life the Warrens lived in this part of town and on the 1861 census are listed on Nottingham Road while by 1871 they are at 12 Kensington Street. Only at the end of the century did they move out of Ilkeston – down the road and into Trowell.
Hannah died in that village in May 1898, aged 67.
William died in August 1907, aged 76 and was outlived by his second wife Eliza whom he had married in 1898.
William’s father, Charles Warren, was born in West Hallam about 1806, the son of framework knitter William and Martha (nee Rainor).
There he married Martha Bloor in October 1829 and arrived about 1840 at Little Hallam with several children.
After a few years the family moved into the Kensington/Hunger Hill area of Nottingham Road, there to remain.
Charles worked all his adult life as a framework knitter and died at Hunger Hill in June 1885. His first wife Martha had died in August 1849 and he was then living with his second wife Mary Anne (nee Platts).
She was the daughter of framework knitter John and Ann, the sister of ramoneur James of South Street, and the widow of cordwainer Samuel Blakemore of Pimlico. She became the wife of Charles in April 1850 and appears to have spent almost all her adult life in this area of Nottingham Road, dying there in December 1889, aged 70.
In 1871 Charles was at 63 Nottingham Road.
Further down was a house inhabited by the Straw family,
Coalminer James Straw was a son of engine tenter Richard and Hannah (nee Fisher) and lived at 64 Nottingham Road in 1871. (An engine tenter supervised steam-powered factory machinery).
He married Mary Stirland, daughter of Cotmanhay coalminer Benjamin and Alice (nee Fulwood) in November 1852 and lived in Cotmanhay but after only five years of marriage Mary died, aged 30.
Almost five years later James married again, to Stapleford-born Hannah Langsdale, daughter of framework knitter Samuel and Margaret.
The couple spent many years at number 64 Nottingham Road before moving into Albion Place.
There James died in December 1890, aged 59.
House and cottage rows.
There was also a row of houses and a shop.
The shop was converted into a parlour, and in this house lived Mr. and Mrs. Amos Tatham, when they left Park Road.
We shall meet the Tathams very shortly.
Then a row of cottages with gable to the street. A sweep lived in one of these.
This row of cottages may have been that which flanked the southern side of what was to be Pedley Street.
Thomas Richards was a coalminer when he married widow Catherine Slack (nee Daykin) in December 1859.
The groom was the son of framework knitter Thomas Richards and Frances (nee Shaw) while the bride was the daughter of boatman/labourer Paul Daykin and Mary (nee Straw).
Catherine’s first husband, labourer Nicholas Slack, had died in November 1840.
Some time in the 1860’s, while living in Nottingham Road, Thomas began trading as a chimney sweep.
By 1871 he was recorded at 1 Pedley Street and he died there in May 1887, aged 63, and still a chimney sweep.
Though she didn’t know it at the time, there was almost another 20 years of life left for widow Catherine. She died in December 1904 at Basford Workhouse, aged 86 and was buried on Christmas Eve at Stanton Road Cemetery.
Thomas’s younger brother James – alias Frederick James – was also working as a chimney sweep though plying his trade in Heage.
Another cottage or two, then we come to the road leading to the old needle factory at Kensington.
Mr. Cope was the proprietor.
Bagshaw’s Directory of 1846 lists John Cope as a framework knitter of Kensington,
Slater’s Directory of 1850 mentions John Cope of Kensington, hosier,
and both the Post Office Directory of 1855 and White’s Directory of 1857 have him at Nottingham Road as a framework knitter.
He was (possibly) the son of pot dealer Samuel and Catherine (nee Chambers) and married Ann Robinson in January 1819.
On the 1841 and 1851 censuses he is listed in the Kensington area as a framework knitter, living with his family, and under him he has several journeyman workers in the same trade – in 1841 Edward Knowles is John’s apprentice while a lad, George Cheadle, is his ‘winder’ — suggesting that John is supervising or owning a frame-shop.
He is Adeline’s ‘Mr. Cope, the proprietor’.
John died at Kensington in January 1859, aged 66, and widow Ann continued as a shopkeeper/grocer in Nottingham Road until she died there in September 1870, aged 73.
One member of the Cope family was son Joseph who started his working life with his father and mother as a framework knitter.
In May 1842 and then still a framework knitter, Joseph married his first wife Loughborough-born Sarah Teear, daughter of framesmith John and Sarah (nee Thompson) and who died six years later.
Both the children of that marriage died in infancy.
Joseph shortly converted to be a coal higgler or dealer, his occupation on the 1851 census and also when he married his second wife in May 1853. She was Ann Meaking, daughter of labourer Benjamin and Sarah, from the Newark district.
Joseph was resident in the Nottingham Road/Hunger Hill/Kensington area throughout early life until by 1881 he had moved into Belper Street – and he is ‘Cope the Carrier’ mentioned earlier by Adeline. (See Belper Street).
and now the Tathams.