In an indenture, dated March 26th 1901, the three house next on East Street were described as formerly occupied by John Emminson, Thomas Scattergood and Anchor Carrier, then by Henry Carrier senior (deceased), Joseph Knighton and William Blount, then James Brentnall, John Woodroffe and Mary Askew, since of Thomas Harrison, James Scattergood and Henry Emminson.
Adeline also describes the occupants of these houses when she was living in East Street. I have reproduced the earlier East Street map so you don’t have to keep referring back to it.
Henry Harrison, machinist.
Lacemaker Henry Harrison was the eldest child of framework knitter John and Lucy (nee Carrier) – Lucy was a daughter of Anchor and Betty Carrier and thus first cousin to the Carrier children in the previous household.
Her son Henry Harrison was their first cousin once removed and the nephew of Henry Carrier of New Street whom we met earlier. In August 1853 he married Ann Turton, the eldest child of Pimlico lacemaker John and Hannah (nee Cordon), and the sister of Charles Turton, publican with King’s Head and Nag’s Head connections. (I could go on but you are probably ready to give up!!)
“There were three daughters, Hannah, who was a popular singer at concerts, both at home and away. She is, I believe, at the present time Mrs. Tom Wardle. Agnes and Eliza, the latter died while still young”.
Adeline rightly identifies the three daughters.
The eldest daughter Hannah married William Henshaw of Cotmanhay Road, coalminer son of Joseph and Mary (nee Shaw) and went to live in Cotmanhay. William died at Wesley Street in October 1899 and almost 30 years later Hannah married John Thomas Wardle. (See the musical Wardles)
Sister Agnes Ann gave birth to her illegitimate son William Henry in 1878 at the age of 18, when the family had moved into South Street. Almost 20 years later she married widower Frederick Henry Bostock, the gardener son of ‘Jonty Trot’ alias Jonathan Bostock.
The youngest child was Eliza who died in 1879, aged 21.
Mark Wheatley Harrison and parents.
“Going through the entry, you came to the stairs leading to the Old East Street Warehouse. On the left were two cottages. (Both were Carrier properties … 8 and 9 on the East Street map). In the first lived another Mrs. Harrison”. ( house 8)
‘Another Mrs. Harrison’ was born Sarah Wheatley in 1836, daughter of Cossall-born blacksmith Mark and Mary Ann (nee Bamford). In August 1854 she married lacemaker Thomas Harrison, a younger brother of Henry whom we have just met and in the following year their son Mark Wheatley Harrison was born, the first of 15 children.
Almost 50 years later the Advertiser published a series of sketches of renowned Ilkeston cricketers, one of which featured Mark and included a description of his early life.
“He commenced at the age of 13 to bring a little ‘grist to the mill’ and was employed in the Kimberley Colliery Offices to do ‘odd jobs’, such as bringing in the coal for the fires, ‘tidying up’ and running errands. The remuneration was somewhat meagre, and as soon as a chance came he obtained employment at the Kimberley top hard pit. He worked at Shipley for 20 years, and also at Oakwell – where he now is – for 11 years, all the while down the mine with lamps, which naturally have had a deleterious effect upon the keenness of his eyesight”.
The memoir continued with a description of Mark’s cricketing career which seems to have begun at the age of 12 or 13, and of his cricketing friends and acquaintances — including Allen Dodd, his early years’ next door neighbour. Mark was a useful batsman and a ‘hard as nails’ wicket-keeper of local repute. A contemporary player could not recall that Mark ever stood back from the wicket, no matter how fast the bowling.
‘He got many hard knocks which failed to daunt or perturb him’.
He was also a keen snuff-taker, ‘never without his box on the field of play, and whenever a wicket fell he would summon the players around him’ to share in a pinch or two.
Mark died in 1914 at 7 Peacock Yard, his home since his marriage in April 1876 to Rebecca Wright, close to the Peacock Inn — and not a cricket ball’s throw from the cricket pitch in a field behind the Inn where Mark played some of his earlier matches for the Peacock Club.
Rebecca was the daughter of Cotmanhay grocer Edward and Mary Ann (nee Clay).
There is a photo of Mark in the Ilkeston Advertiser of June 3rd 1904.
Scattergoods and Dodds.
“In the next, lived James Scattergood, a machinist at Carrier’s, Tamar his wife, and Fred, their son”. (house 9)
Born in 1828, the daughter of Bath Street collier Thomas and Ruth (nee Bostock), Tamar Dodd married James Scattergood, lacemaker, in February 1854 and then lived in East Street.
Later in life James worked as a waiter at the nearby Old Wine Vaults and one Sunday afternoon in January 1880 he returned from work and settled down for a nap on his sofa. A couple of hours later a loud scream suddenly woke him up and he saw Tamar with her clothes on fire. Quickly he took her outside and threw a bucket of water over her, though she had been severely burned and died that evening, at Trowell, on her way to Nottingham Hospital. Evidence given at her inquest suggested that Tamar had in the past suffered accidents when seized by fits and the jury thus concluded that the ‘deceased came to her death by falling into the fire whilst in a fit’.
The Scattergood son Fred, born in 1859, and their only child to survive beyond infancy, was later a needlemaker.
Of the four other children only one, Hannah, was named but she died aged six weeks.
Premature twin daughters survived only a few hours yet were born in 1861 and died in 1862.
The 1881 census shows Fred in Nottingham Road as a boarder with Emily Attenborough (nee Frost).
She was the widow firstly of stone-miner David Skevington, whom she had married in 1855 and who died in 1860, and then of boatman Alexander Attenborough, whom she married in 1865 and who died in 1880.
Also in this 1881 household is listed Elvina Attenborough who was really a Skevington, being a child of Emily’s first marriage. Elvina had formed a relationship with Fred, the results of which were several ‘Scattergood Skevingtons’.
Adeline recalls that “in this cottage Allan Dodd, the cricketer, was born”.
Hannah Dodd was the younger unmarried sister of Tamar and was living with her in East Street when Hannah’s son Allen was born on July 12th 1854.
As a young lad he attended Joseph Horsley’s school of about 30 or 40 pupils, held in the latter’s home which tended to change quite frequently, at the mercy of his landlord…. Burr Lane and then North Street were two of the locations, neither far from Allen’s home. Aged about seven or eight Allen transferred to the British School in Bath Street, then under the headship of Wright Lissett, and found part-time employment as a brass-bobbin winder at Henry Carrier’s factory in Bath Street, where at the age of 10 he started ‘to work proper’. He was to remain employed there for about 40 years.
It was Robert Robinson, master at Cossall National School, who gave the initial impetus to Allen’s cricket career when he offered the boy a place in one of his school’s teams. About 1869 Allen joined Rutland Cricket Club, ‘a good all-round player but slightly at a disadvantage owing to his shortness of stature’. (Trueman 3) He was later Club captain. He always impressed Sheddie Kyme as ‘having a very graceful style of using the willow’.
For working men like Mark Wheatley Harrison and Allen Dodd, playing cricket was an important part of their lives. As many matches were played on Monday, starting at 11am with a projected closing time of 6pm, a day’s work and pay had to be sacrificed.
Hannah Dodd later moved into Queen Street with Allen where she died in April 1877, aged 47.
Two years later Allen married Mary Jane Butler, daughter of Park Road coalminer Thomas and Caroline (nee Sisson) and for many years continued to live in Queen Street.
For the 1894 cricket season Allen threw in his lot with Ilkeston Cricket Club
Allen died in St. Mary Street in January 1920, aged 65.
We are now almost at the end of East Street as it was in the 1850’s. (if you can’t remember, East Street at this time, stopped just past High Street; after that it was called Burr Lane)