After the Columbine house, Adeline of course remembers that “the next (house) was occupied by Mr. Henry Carrier, senior, the founder of Henry Carrier & Sons, his four sons and one daughter. (house 6 on the East Street map )
“Henry Carrier senior” we have previously known, on Bath Street, as “nephew Henry Carrier”, his uncle being Henry Carrier who died on January 28th 1812, aged 68. We shall now refer to him as ‘senior’ and his son Henry as ‘junior’
Henry Carrier senior (1779-1852)
This first part is a recap of what we learned earlier, in Bath Street.
Henry senior was the son of John and Esther (nee Woolin) and who benefitted in the will of his uncle Henry Carrier who died in 1812. By the late 1830’s Henry and his family were occupying premises in Bath Street, part of which had just been built and which included a grocer’s shop, a bonnet shop and a hat shop. Behind these (to the east) were the longer-established yard, garden, orchard, stable and hosiery warehouse, all acquired by Henry some ten years earlier.
By 1855/56 the Carriers held interests in several properties fronting onto East Street as well as those at the top (south end) of Bath Street. They also held garden land, orchards, workshops, factories, a lace warehouse, stables and outbuildings behind these properties.
Some of this property had existed for several decades. For example, previously owned by coal master Samuel Potter, nephew Henry came into possession of two copyhold premises in East Street in early 1851. One had been a chandler’s shop and was now a bakery and house lived in by Frederick Hodgkinson who in 1850 had married Eliza Mason, the daughter of chandler Moses and Sarah (nee Lings). Perhaps that was when the conversion from candle-making to baking occurred.
The other was lived in by Henry Carrier senior and after his death in 1852, by his son Samuel.
In his (partial) will, dated December 8th 1852, Henry senior bequeathed to his son William, the three properties fronting onto East Street (formerly known as Bull Street) with garden ground behind one of them, two workshops at the bottom of that garden, plus several other buildings in that area.
However Henry senior had erected one of the Bath Street shops used by his son Joseph, as well as the lace warehouse and a new hosiery factory on land behind the shops. In the same will as above, he left those premises to Joseph.
Unfortunately this will was not discovered until some years after Henry’s death on December 14th 1852. It was thus assumed that he had died intestate and so, in August 1854 his son Samuel applied for and was granted Letters of Administration of the estate. (In this Application it was stated that Henry had died on December 20th 1852 !!!) It was only in October 1856, after the discovery of the will, that its effect could be carried out.
In the meantime, in June of 1855, Henry’s eldest surviving son, Henry junior, applied to take occupation of the three premises in East Street together with all gardens, yard, outbuildings and land — at this time the three houses were homes to James Brentnall, John Woodroffe and Mary Askew. On the west side of them were premises belonging to brothers Samuel and Joseph Carrier (previously owned by Samuel Potter), on the north by other property by deceased Henry Carrier senior, on the east by the premises of Mrs. Radford, and on the south by East Street.
At this same time Henry also applied to take control of the premises fronting to Bath Street, including the three shops, and also the old factory, outbuildings, yard, garden, orchard, hosiery warehouse, and a recently constructed factory. This last building was bounded on the west by Bath Street, on the north by other property of the deceased nephew Henry Carrier, on the east by the premises of Catherine Marshall, and on the south in part by premises of James Goddard and Mrs. Radford, and also in part by the premises of brothers Samuel and Joseph Carrier. Also there was other property — originally two buildings but now one, a stockinger’s shop, garden, orchard, and outbuildings fronting to Bath Street, now occupied by John Osborne and the brothers Samuel and Henry Carrier. This last area was bounded on the west by Bath Street, on the north by other property, on the east by the property of Catherine Marshall, and on the south by property previously owned by the deceased nephew Henry Carrier.
We are now almost opposite the Wine Vaults and now at Carrier properties where several of their workers lived.