Samuel Shaw’s Estate: 1881-1905
(Details and plans courtesy of more documents from Jim Beardsley’s archive)
Coming back from beyond and retracing our steps up the south side of Station Road, Adeline describes introduces us to Samuel Shaw, living up “a narrow side road”.
“Here in later years Mr.(Samuel) Shaw built a small house, in which he and his family lived. I remember two of his daughters, Frances and Janey.
“Continuing through this road we come to another lane, which is now Lower Chapel Street.
“Here was some old property, with backs up to the road.”
From her description, the ‘narrow side road’ mentioned by Adeline must have led from Station Road and into Lower Chapel Street; it may be the southern part of North Street between Station Road and Chapel Street before it joined with Burr Lane … that appears to be the only named side road in the area at that time. That is where the Shaw family had its home on the 1881 census.
It was part of the estate of George Blake Norman and the Shaw home comprised a cottage, orchard and two closes of land called the North Field (in the prvious century owned by Michael Skevington) — which housed a brickyard in 1881– and the Spicey Close (called Spicer Close by some sources) It was just over 12 acres in area.
In November 1885 Samuel Shaw took out two mortgages, totalling £2200, with Thomas Arthur Hill, a hosiery manufacturer of Standard Hill in Nottingham. The property he mortgaged included 5½ acres of land in the area called ‘North Field‘, and lay at the end of what is today Lower Chapel Street. A small portion of North Field could be found on the west side of the Erewash Canal — the rest lay on the east side, as you can see in the map below. This is adapted from the 1881 O.S. map.
You can see Station Road, from left to right, with no named streets leading off from either side. Lower Chapel Street is marked by number 479 and ends abruptly at North Field.
On Samuel’s land there were “five messuages or dwellinghouses, stables, storerooms and other buildings” as well as a “brickyard with buildings erected”
Between 1886 and 1904 changes were made in the mortgagees of this property, while, during that time, the brickmaker erected four additional houses, fronting on to ‘(Lower) Chapel Street‘, enfranchised other parts of the land, and sold off some portions. By 1901, this piece of land now measured a little under four acres, upon which eight houses had been erected on Chapel Street East (Lower Chapel Street). These were recorded as numbers 56, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 75 (should be 76?) and 77, and on the census of that year, the first was uninhabited while the rest, respectively, were occupied by the families of brickmaker Joseph William Shaw (son of Samuel); coal miner Adrian Smith; retired brickmaker Samuel Shaw senior; colliery carpenter William Massey; stone mason George Orchard; coal miner William Dilks; and widow Annie Key (though this house may have very recently housed the family of the late Joseph Spowage).
Plan 1: taken from a property document, 1905
On Plan 1, the late Samuel Shaw’s estate is within the boundary marked with a red line. The eight houses, erected in Lower Chapel Street, are numbered, along with a few neighbouring ones. Present-day Rupert Street is marked as Clarence Street — why ? — it could be that Gordon Street and Clarence Street were both named after Samuel’s grandson, Clarence Gordon Shaw, born in 1892, (son of Samuel Shaw junior). You could see John Beniston’s comment on the naming of Alvenor Street
On January 3rd 1904 Samuel Shaw died at his Lower Chapel Street home, aged 73. In his will he had appointed, as executors and trustees, his two sons, Isaac and Joseph William, and his son-in-law Thomas Beniston (who had married daughter Jane Maria Shaw in 1876). The will had been made in 1895, in the year before Jane Maria died. And so, by the time Samuel Shaw died, was he still the father-in-law of Thomas ? — especially as Thomas had remarried in 1899 ?
At the end of that year, the three executors agreed to sell to Samuel Shaw junior (the eldest son of the late Samuel) a piece of the estate, situated in Gordon Street and measuring 527 square yards — the purchase price of which was £52 7s. At this time hosiery manager Thomas Beniston was living in Sao Paulo in the Republic of Brazil and so it’s unclear how much he knew of this sale. The premises on the north side of the land were owned by the Duke of Rutland; on the west were the premises of John William Shaw; on the east was property of the estate of the late Samuel Shaw senior; and on the south was Gordon Street, which as yet had not been adopted by the Borough Council as a ‘Publc Street‘. You can see these features in the plan below.
Plan 2: taken from a conveyance document, December 31st 1904
A month later — on January 30th 1905 — Samuel Shaw junior sold the same 527 square yards to his younger brother Joseph William, for £56, and six months later the latter arranged mortgages for the property. The mortgagees were John Ball J.P. of Dodson House, his nephew William, then a lace manufacturer living in Hyson Green, Nottingham, and his niece Elizabeth Susan. By this time four houses had been erected upon the Gordon Street plot (by builder Joseph William ?) — they were numbered 13, 14, 15 and 16.
Seven years later — in September 1912 — with none of the principal loan repaid and some interest payments outstanding, the three mortgagees foreclosed on the mortgage.
On April 21st 1926, the four houses were sold for £625 to warphand Walter Frederick Parsons of 40 Carr Street, Ilkeston.
Samuel Shaw and his family: 1830
Samuel Shaw senior was born in Kimberley about 1830 the son of collier William and Alice (nee Revell) but lived the majority of his life in Ilkeston.
On August 7th 1854 he married Jane Smith, daughter of Joseph, lacemaker of Awsworth Road, and Maria (nee Cook) and did not wander far from this area for the rest of his life.
Samuel played a prominent part in the business, social and religious life of the town.
As a young man he began an association with the Primitive Methodist chapel, and for many years was a local preacher and trustee for both the Bath Street and Nottingham Road chapels, as well as providing service to the Sunday school.
The Ilkeston Advertiser of 1904 recalls that “in early life he was a contractor at the ironstone pits situated near the present Bennerley furnaces after which he worked his own land for getting coal”. Then for over 30 years he was a brick maker using the clay lying beneath his land.
Samuel retired in 1893, leaving his oldest surviving son Samuel junior in charge of the business and leaving himself free to travel extensively. He visited the Channel Islands, the south of France, several health resorts but particularly enjoyed Wales. There he could pursue his fishing, the sport of which he was passionately fond.
In politics Samuel was ‘an independent Conservative’ and for some years was a member of the Local Board. However he had not held public office for many years before his death in January, 1904 in Lower Chapel Street.
By that time he had just seen son Samuel elected to the Town Council but did not see him made mayor in 1910.
The Shaw children
Samuel and Jane had at least ten children, the eldest two recalled by Adeline.
Daughter Jane Maria married Thomas Beniston, hosiery warehouse manager, in 1876 and in the following year her sister Frances Alice married William Holbrook, painter, plumber and paper hanger. The latter established his business initially in Station Road and then, about 1888, moved into Bath Street. By the end of the century the family was living in Nottingham.
But what of the others?
Isaac William, born in 1860 died in infancy, in 1861.
Born May 16th, 1862, Samuel junior (right), like his father, was a brick manufacturer, and in 1885 married Lydia Emma Evans of South Street, the daughter of sanitary inspector Thomas and Ann (nee Jones).
and also like his father, played a significant part in civic affairs. In the early twentieth century he served on the Town Council and was elected Mayor in 1910 .. and thus he features in the town’s Coronation booklet of 1911 (supplied by Mike Hallam)
Joseph William (1864), like his brother, remained in Ilkeston, married Kate West in 1887, and traded as a bricklyer/builder.
Isaac (1866) trained as a colliery clerk, married Hannah Millicent Chapman of West Hallam, and continued to live in Ilkeston.
Agnes (1868) actually left Ilkeston after her marriage to John Edwin Walker, lace machine engineer of Kimberley in 1894. They departed for Nottingham
Frederick Charles (1870), another brickmaker, married Harriet Elizabeth White, in 1892. They too made Ilkeston their home.
Kezia (1873) .. ?
Jane died eight years before her husband and both are buried in the same grave at Park Cemetery.
We are now set to continue up Bath Street to Jack Lee’s Yard.