Old Ilkeston Logo

Henry Carrier

Leaving behind Riley’s Row

Henry Carrier had a double-fronted house, and small factory at the rear, where he had one or two lace machines.
After Fritchleys left their house, which was next to his, Henry took it and enlarged his business.

Son of Anchor Carrier, framework knitter of Bath Street, and Betty (nee George), Henry Carrier was born in November 1814 and married Rebecca Hart*– daughter of Humphrey and Ann (nee Holmes)? — in October 1834.

(*In fact Rebecca Hart was the daughter of Thomas and Hannah (nee Meakin), baptised at Greasley in May 1811. My thanks to Jennifer Beldam for pointing this out … the Ilkeston Wesleyan Methodist baptism of eldest child Ann Carrier shows Rebecca’s parents.
Jennifer suggests that the ‘other’ Rebecca Hart married Shipley Common coalminer George Severn in 1827 … she died in Ilkeston in 1878, aged 68)

Henry’s neighbour in New Street was William Fritchley, a Cossall-born butcher but living in Ilkeston when he married Ann Dodson in April 1818 at Sutton in Ashfield. He had a home in East Street, then in Bath Street until the mid 1860’s when he moved into New Street.
Ann died there in April 1865, aged 70, and William in August 1872, aged 84.

Children John, Catherine and James Fritchley continued to live there until the later years of the century.


(Henry Carrier) had five sons. William, Henry and George worked with their father. 
All the Carriers of those days were descended from one stock, and these three sons of Henry were typically Carriers. They always walked out together, and could be seen some part of each day walking down Bath Street on the carriage way. They were dark skinned, full whiskered, and only of medium stature. They were called the ‘Three Hebrew Brethren’

During the first 20 years of their marriage Henry and Rebecca had at least 11 children (seven sons and four daughters), three of them dying very young.

Ann (1835) died at New Street, aged 28.

ŸAnchor died in 1840, aged 2.

ŸEnoch, the eldest, was an assistant at Mr. Joseph Carrier’s grocery establishment, Bath Street.
Enoch was born in 1839 and we shall meet him again very shortly.

Maria died in February 1842, aged ten months.

ŸAnchor (the second) born in 1843, married Priscilla Mitchell in 1868. She was the illegitimate daughter of Mary Mitchell and collier John Hart, and since the premature death of her mother in 1849, had been brought up by her maternal grandparents.
The first child of Anchor and Priscilla was illegitimate daughter Mary Maria Mitchell, born in 1865, who later adopted the name Carrier.

ŸHenry junior (1844) married Ruth Fulwood in November 1863 and within 25 years had 14 children, all born in the Station Road area. Ruth was the youngest child of coalminer William and Hannah (nee Hardy).

Born in 1846 Maria (the second) and Samuel Smith, coalminer of Bath Street, had an illegitimate daughter, Eliza, before marrying in 1868. I counted 11 children before I lost the family in 1901.

Amos died of typhoid at New Street in 1862, aged 14.

George was born in 1850 and married Alice Beardsley in August 1872 and within 20 years the couple had 10 children. Alice was the eldest child of lacemaker Joseph and Elizabeth (nee Cartwright) of Duke Street, her mother being the elder sister of John Cartwright

ŸHannah was three years old when she died in January 1856.

Tom, the youngest died when about fifteen years old.
In fact Thomas died at New Street in November 1873, aged 19.

Adeline identifies Henry junior and George, both lacemakers, as two of the ‘Three Hebrew Brethren’. There appears to be no son William Carrier.
Anchor perhaps makes up the trio?
Or was it Enoch? (see below)

Regularly for many years, Henry Carrier could be seen at a certain time on Sunday morning crossing Queen Street fields, on his way to the Dale, where he spent the day, returning home in the evening.

Rebecca Carrier died at the Station Road home in December 1882, aged 71.
Her husband Henry senior died there in November 1884, aged 70.
In his will he left the factory to brothers Henry junior and George, though shortly afterwards brother Enoch joined them in a lacemaking partnership.
Four years later — by the end of October 1888 — and their business was bankrupt. Enoch blamed this on the fall in the price of taffeta, occasioned by a cheaper class of German goods.

Samuel Wood, grocer and baker