Returning to White Lion Square, which had three shops in it.
Samuel Rice … again
The first was under a tree at the top of Park Road.
Mr. Samuel Rice took this, leaving the one in the Market Place. …. we have already met him there.
He was a grocer, and when he retired from business, went to live on a farm at Kirk Hallam.
Born in 1836 Samuel Rice was one of the nine children of tailor Richard and Hannah (nee Meer), all born in Ilkeston, before the majority of the family moved to Basford in the 1850’s.
The oldest surviving child, Samuel, a stone miner, remained at Club Row in Ilkeston and in March 1860 married Mary Shaw, youngest child of labourer William and Mary (nee Mather).
By 1871 the couple and their five children – one had died and several more were to follow — had moved to number 48 Park Road and Samuel was now a grocer while Mary was listed in the census as a baker.
There were further moves into Market Street where the family retained a grocery shop and to Little Hallam, before eventually Samuel and Mary moved to live at Ladywood Farm in Kirk Hallam, where Samuel died in October 1905.
One of the two first houses on the north side was tenanted by Mr. and Mrs. Amos Tatham and their family, They came from Crich about 1853 or 4.
They had three sons, Herbert, William and Edmund. The latter died before reaching manhood.
The daughters were Eliza and Sarah.
The other property was very old, some of the cottages faced south, the backs being to the road.
We have already met this Tatham family in Nottingham Road.
The ‘Edmund’ mentioned by Adeline was probably Arthur Amos who died in Stanley Street in April 1893, aged 30.
One family greatly ‘attached’ to Park Road were the Walkers.
And into Market and Extension Streets.