After the Balls we arrive at …..
According to Adeline, we find “further on in Albion Place were two four-roomed cottages. In the first lived Mr. and Mrs. Barker.
Mrs. Barker had a Dame’s School”.
The Barker parents were lace manufacturer Thomas and Mary (nee Mills), who was the daughter of William and Lucy Ann Paradise (nee Sargeant or Sargent). Mary was thus the sister of Lucy, the wife of Ilkeston gardener William Sanders of Moors Bridge Lane (later Derby Road)
Thomas and Mary Barker were long-term residents of Albion Place and both died there, Thomas on September 4th 1870, and Mary on September 28th 1864.
They had at least six children. Let’s examine them in turn.
1. The oldest child was Lucy Sargent Barker, born April 29th, 1819 in Worcester. In 1848 she married Belper plumber George Riley and with him, lived for some years in Birmingham. When George died, Lucy remarried to widower John Watson, another resident of Belper, on March 31st 1875 and they continued to live in Belper. However when John died there in 1889, Lucy returned to St. Mary Street in Ilkeston, where she lived with her youmgest brother George, at Malin House, and where she died on March 11th 1895.
2. Born on October 6th 1821, the oldest son was Samuel Sargent Barker, who is the only child identified by Adeline. She writes that “In the second cottage lived their son Sam, his wife, two sons and one daughter”.
Samuel’s wife since October 14th 1844 was Hannah Crooks, daughter of Park Road framework knitter John and Sarah (nee Taylor). And the couple had at least five children, three sons and two daughters.
Adeline identifies the eldest son of Samuel senior and Hannah as “Sam, who became a Professor of Music, and lived at Sheffield”. In fact this son, Samuel James Barker, was their second son, who left Ilkeston and may have moved to Sheffield but not for long … he came to settle in Bath, Somerset, by 1881, as a ‘Professor of Music’. In 1903 he married Edith Henrietta Nott, from a military family, she living at 7 Walcot Parade in Bath. And at that house Samuel James died on September 27th 1912, aged 63, from cardiac arrest, brought on by a case of ‘double pneumonia.
An obituary in the Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette recorded him as ‘one of the oldest, best known and most highly respected of Bath’s organists’, serving at St. Saviour’s Church for over 40 years. In the 1880’s he had combined these duties with also serving two other churches, St. Swithin’s (Walcot Parish Church) and St. Andrew’s, although for the last 25 years of his life he had given all of his efforts to St. Saviour’s.
“He was a gentleman of a most retiring disposition, but he was an excellent musician, and was greatly liked by all who knew him”.
He was buried at Locksbrook Cemetery (formerly Walcot Cemetery) in Bath on October 1st; travelling down from Ilkeston to attend the ceremony were his younger brother, George Henry and wife Sarah ‘Jenny’. (see below)
St. Saviour’s Church, Bath, where Samuel James served the last 25 years of his life as respected organist and choir master
Their oldest son was Thomas, born in 1845, who left Albion Place in the 1860’s to settle in Nottingham, and there worked as a lace warehouseman, married Elizabeth Alice James in 1874, helped to raise a family, and died in 1904. (He is missing from Adeline’s story)
Adeline does remember their youngest son “George who took over Mr. Thomas Small’s drapery business in Bath Street”.
George Henry took over the Small drapery business at (then) 11 Bath Street in 1884 when still a bachelor. In 1890 he married Sarah Jane Belfield Clay who had divorced her first husband two years earlier. (We shall meet Jenny again at the Mundy Arms, near the end of our journey. The Clay family were long-term occupants of that Inn.)
Adeline names “Mary, the daughter, who died in girlhood”. There was a daughter Mary Ann but she married lace designer and draughtsman Alan Shepherd in August 1878 and continued to live in Albion Place – for many years at number 24.
Daughter Jane or Sarah Jane was perhaps the child who died ‘in girlhood’. She died in Albion Place in 1867, aged 14.
3. The third child of Thomas and Mary was Thomas Barker, born March 10th 1824, but died in February 1833.
4. Jane Elizabeth Barker was born on August 22nd 1826, and married Belper nailmaker John Mellor on July 31st 1848. He moved on from his original trade to become a much respected clothier, draper and maker of musical instruments in his home town. In early life he was also the parish constable for the district and held the post for over 25 years. In politics he was a stauch Radical and strong supporter of Liberal politician William Gladstone.
Several of their children achieved musical success: eldest son Thomas Barker Mellor was an organist at Bakewell Parish Church and a teacher of music; second son Albert held the joint position of organist at Windsor Parish Church and the Queen’s private chapel at St. George’s, as well as being assistant music master at Eton College.
Jane Elizabeth died at her home, The Butts in Belper, on June 13th 1896, aged 69.
5. Mary Barker, born March 30th 1833, married Ilkeston joiner David England on April 21st 1851. They too eventually settled in Belper where David had the license of the Rose and Crown Inn in King Street. When he died at the end of 1874 the license was transferred to Mary.
6. Thomas 2 was born on December 7th 1835, and died on March 2nd 1838.
There were two or three old cottages facing East, with gable up to the road, also three more cottages near Jack Lee’s Yard.
Mrs Pritchit and family lived in the end one.
There were several Pritchett families who made their home in Albion Place. I believe that they all were brothers — the sons of Sandiacre labourer John and Judith (nee Wheatley – one of the Dale Abbey Wheatleys).
These brothers were …..
Ironstone miner Thomas, wife Emma (nee Grose or Gorse), and children.
Labourer John and Eliza (nee Grundy), and their children.
Ironstone miner James and Mary (nee Large) and their family.
Albion Place as it was, looking down from the Bath Street end towards Burr Lane in the distance.
And so we now walk out down Albion Place, back into Burr Lane, and examine the cottages on the west side.