From the Independent Chapel in Pimlico (just off the right of the photo below) ….
The Sir John Warren Inn in the late 1890’s (courtesy of Ilkeston Reference Library)
In 1797 Isaac Attenborough bought the five cottages on this site (from Samuel Coates of Underwood), pulled down two of them and built stables on their site. He converted the other three into an inn and the family lived there until 1878. (Waterhouse)
This gravestone is to be found at St Catherine’s Church, Cossall.
On the left it reads ‘To perpetuate the Memory of Isaac Attenborough who departed this Life on the 13th day of February 1845; Aged 87 Years’.
On the right we see ‘Sacred to the Memory of Jane Attenborough, Wife of Isaac Attenborough, Daughter of Thomas & Elizabeth Pearson whose Sublunary destiny ended February 26th 1814 in the 52nd Year of her Age. Also near this Place lies Sons of the above’.
I believe that Jane Attenborough is buried in St. Mary’s Church, Ilkeston.
Adeline writes that …. The Sir John Warren Inn was the home of the Attenboroughs.
Isaac was the landlord. He had three sons, and two daughters.
Here Adeline seems to be referring not to Isaac but to Mark Attenborough. The latter was the son of Isaac — mentioned by Edgar Waterhouse (above) and whose gravestone we can see (also above)
Mark had three sons, Isaac, William and Thomas, and two surviving daughters, Jane and Sarah.
His two youngest children, Alice and Ann, died in infancy.
Born in 1788 Mark was a son of farmer and cattle dealer Isaac and Jane (nee Pearson) and is variously described as publican, victualler, maltster, farmer and cattle dealer at Warren’s Arms or the Sir John Warren.
In November 1825 he married Alice Mitchell eldest daughter of William and Sarah (nee Hously). Her family had moved from Calverton in Nottinghamshire to settle in the Pimlico area; we shall meet other members of this family shortly.
Alice died in April 1849 and her husband ten years later.
Both were buried at St. Mary’s church.
Just over six months before his death Mark was presented by members of the Rutland Lodge of Oddfellows, Manchester Unity, with a portrait of himself, the work of John Brassington, portrait painter of Friar Gate, Derby. At the ceremony and presenting the portrait, Dr. Norman spoke warmly of Mark; “none could surpass the integrity and uprightness which had marked Mr. Attenborough’s long career of life… it approved itself to all; to the members of that Lodge especially, whose treasurer he had been for a period of thirty years…”.
Also present at the ceremony was the Rev. Ebsworth, receiving the gift on behalf of Mark – who was too ill to attend — and who added “I believe he has gained the respect of all persons in the parish of every shade of party or politics, and that his character is best told in the words ‘An honest man’s the noblest work of God’. I have no doubt the family will regard the gift as an heirloom, and long cherish the kindly feelings of those by whom it was tendered”.
The children of Mark and Alice
1. When Isaac (i.e. Mark) died his son Isaac became landlord.
Trueman (1) records that the eldest child Isaac was born at the hotel on April 2nd 1826 and married Sarah Beardsley of West Hallam in 1850. She was the daughter of West Hallam farm labourer Edward and Dorothy, and already had an illegitimate son, Thomas Attenborough Beardsley born in 1843. At least nine further children followed after the marriage.
Isaac was the landlord of the inn after his father Mark, and during his lifetime held many positions of authority — serving as Overseer of the Poor, Guardian of the Poor, Churchwarden, member of the Local Board and its Chairman 1882/3.
On Isaac’s election to the latter position, ‘Rambler’ described him as “one who can point back to many long years of practical work on behalf of the parish – a man of few words, but possessing a decision of character eminently useful in the task of controlling a Board which habitually treats the ordinary rules of debate as a dead-letter, and constantly exhibits a tendency to reopen the discussions of questions already decided”.
The writer concluded that Isaac was “a man of business uninfluenced by those petty considerations which mar the administrations of affairs by those who fix their eyes on party aggrandisement”.
Isaac also acted as treasurer of the Ilkeston Farmers’ Club and was a regular exhibitor at its shows.
He played for the Rutland Cricket Club and was its president in later life.
Isaac’s eldest legitimate son was Mark who was educated at Derby Grammar School and in 1868 passed the Incorporate Law Society’s preliminary legal examination in London. He later served as an articled clerk to Edward Humphreys, his solicitor uncle (by marriage).
Born in 1859 Isaac’s son Edward lived and worked at the Inn. In 1884 he married cotton winder Sarah Ann Walker of Park Road, the daughter of labourer Richard Joseph and Ann Gregorywall Pilkington (nee Bullock). His wife had an eight-month old illegitimate son, Edward Walker. (This son later adopted the name Edward Walker Attenborough and in 1913 he married under that name, citing Edward Attenborough as his father).
About 1888/89 Edward Attenborough became landlord of the Horse and Groom Inn at Gallows Inn and died there in 1890, another Ilkeston victim of cirrhosis of the liver.
In 1898 his widow married stationary engine driver and widower David Short.
Daughter Alice Ann married Pimlico builder John Wheatley in August 1884.
Isaac and Sarah had at least six other children but they all died very young… Alice in 1851, aged 15 months; Jane in 1858, aged nearly four years; Sarah in 1858, aged 15 months; Isaac junior in 1862, aged five months; Arthur William in 1869, aged four years and two months; and John in 1878, aged eight years.
Isaac began to build a large house with a substantial area of open ground on its south side, on the corner of Gladstone Street and Market Street, for his family in the autumn of 1878 and subsequently moved there.
His wife Sarah died at that home in February 1890 and in the following year Isaac married his second wife, his housekeeper Lydia Duro, daughter of Mapperley coalminer Joseph and Ann (nee Beardsley) and 44 years his junior.
Lydia’s mother was the sister of Isaac’s first wife.
Thus his sister-in-law became his mother-in-law, and his niece by marriage became his wife.
In February 1892 Lydia gave birth to William Attenborough.
Isaac died at his home in Market Street in August 1894. Four years later his widow married lacemaker George Spencer who at the turn of the century was the landlord at the Borough Arms in Bath Street.
2. William and Thomas were noted cricketers.
It is unlikely that the two other sons, cricketers William and Tommy, got knowledge of the game from father Mark who possibly didn’t know which end of a cricket bat to hold.
Second son William was a good local cricketer, a left-handed bowler and batsman, but it was younger brother Tommy who stood out at the sport. We shall meet Tommy again at the Gallows Inn end of Nottingham Road.
We shall also meet his brother William in Nottingham Road. (See the Horse and Groom Inn).
3. Jane married Mr. Joseph Carrier, draper, Bath Street.
Daughter Jane married Joseph Carrier, youngest child of hosier Henry and Elizabeth (nee Smith) in July 1851 and went to live in Bath Street.
4. Sarah became the wife of Mr. Humphrey, a solicitor in London.
Daughter Sarah married Edward Humphreys, solicitor‘s clerk and later solicitor, in April 1861 before moving to London.
5. The two youngest daughters were Alice who died in September 1835, aged 4 months, and Ann who died in 1840, aged 2 years.
In the latter half of 1879 William Ball became landlord and in February 1882 the licence was transferred to Edwin Hall.
A couple of years after the death of Isaac Attenborough, in May 1896, the Inn was auctioned off. At that time, and for the previous seven years, it had been occupied by Arthur Tinsley. It was described as having a tap-room, smoke bar, a private tap-room, parlour, kitchen, scullery, dairy, a fine entrance and staircase, billiard room, large club room, private sitting room, nine bedrooms, store room, w.c etc, three excellent cellars (in the rock), brewhouse, coals, out offices, standings for 12 horses, two cart sheds, hay lofts, pig styes, and large open yards. It came with a shop and dwelling house at No, 1 Market Place, (to the right in the photo at the top) and dwelling houses at Nos 1 and 2 Pimlico. (just round the corner to the extreme right).
Next door to the Warren were at one time a row of cottages.