We can see the Town Hall cottages — before their demolition of course !! — across the Market Place from us.
Starting from the south side of East Street was Mr. George Bunting’s pork shop.
The Buntings were supposed to be well off, and it was understood that Chain Row, the row of Cottages on the North side of Derby Road, just below the Toll Bar, was the property of the first Mrs. Bunting.
George Bunting, son of George, calico weaver, and Hannah (nee Gamble), was born in 1812 at Steeplehouse near Wirksworth. He married Ann Limbert, daughter of lacemaker William and Ann (nee Tow?) in November 1853 and their one child was Annie Mary born in 1855.
After the death of his first wife, who left him with one little girl, Annie, he married Miss Mary Ann Doxey, by whom he had two or three children.
Wife Ann died in June 1863 and George then married Mary Ann Gaskill Doxey, daughter of baker, later warehouseman, milliner and property owner Thomas and Elizabeth (nee Gaskill) in 1864.
There were at least five children of this marriage, though the first two — both sons — died in infancy.
The daughter from George’s first marriage, Annie Mary Bunting, married British School master Henry Frederick Daykin in 1876 and went to live in Little Hallam.
Henry Frederick was the youngest member of the South Street Daykins.
George Bunting died at 14 Friar Street, Long Eaton , in January 1892, aged 68.
In December of that same year and from the same address, one of his daughters of his second marriage, Elizabeth Gaskill Bunting, married Kneesall-born farmer William Moseley.
While living in Ilkeston, for his neighbour George had Pat Pollard.