Having left behind one Inn, we now approach another ….
James Warner and the Gladstone Inn.
The site of the Inn would be at the far end of this row of buildings which would also be where East Street met Burr Lane in the mid nineteenth century. The black-timbered derelict sauna parlour which you see at the end of this row was the Gladstone Inn in a previous life. However it was not the site of James Warner’s Gladstone Inn, as we shall shortly discover.
On the north side of East Street, and standing a little back from Burr Lane was the old public house kept by Mr. Warner.
He was also the maker of a salve that was very beneficial in cases of burns, or scalds.
Then two or three cottages in the yard.
Just east of the Goddard houses and at the beginning of what was then Burr Lane, the premises of beerhouse keeper James Warner stood in a yard which it shared, in the 1860’s, with a brew house, piggery, stables, kitchen building and slaughterhouse, as well as the cottages mentioned by Adeline.
This was the Gladstone, or Gladstone Arms or Inn, and had been licensed for the sale of beer since the early 1830’s.
Brother of Isaac Warner and uncle to Thomas Warner – builders who significantly affected the topography of Ilkeston – James Warner was not reluctant to advertise his potions and remedies in the local press, as this example from the Ilkeston Leader of 1862 testifies….
“Important notice to the suffering! It has long time been the wish of the Nobility (special mention may be made of the name of Lady Wright, late of Bramcote, who particularly recommends The Plasters for Bad Breasts !) and numerous other Friends of James Warner, East Street, Ilkeston, that he should make known to the Public at large, the wonderful and numerous cures he has performed for the last 15 years, of Abscesses, Ulcers, Carbuncles, Bone Blast, also Bad Breasts, (by his invaluable Plasters) or any substance which form upon the human body.
N.B. James Warner’s cures are too well-known to require any testimonials, or many could be given”.
Unfortunately James does not seem to have had any remedy to relieve his own discomfort.
For some time in 1867 he had been ailing, and on Saturday evening, May 4th, at about 10.30pm, he moved from his kitchen to the cooler parlour, as he was feeling hot and fainty. Alone in the room he fell out of his armchair and almost immediately expired. He was 60 years old.
Only two months before, his beerhouse and premises, including three adjoining cottages and a parcel of land at the rear, had been offered for sale. But shortly after his death and still in East Street, his widow Julia was now offering to supply the Warner recipes and cures to the people of Ilkeston.
“The celebrated plasters and lotions for wounds, swellings &co. as prepared by the late James Warner of Ilkeston, are now prepared and sold by his widow, residing in East Street, Ilkeston, who will give the most prompt attention to every case brought under her notice”. (IP)
Enoch Waters and the Gladstone Angling Society.
In March 1868 Enoch Waters took over the Gladstone Inn which was owned by Robert Marshall.
Enoch was married to Fanny Forman, the sister of Catherine, who was the wife of Aaron Aldred, landlord of the Queen’s Head in Bath Street.
Enoch held a licence for selling beer to be consumed on the premises and in August 1878 applied for an in-door wine and spirit licence – not the first time he had tried.
At this time he claimed the Gladstone Inn as the oldest beerhouse in Ilkeston, having been established for more than 50 years.
Despite a large number of local residents signing a memorial in support of Enoch’s application, it was refused on the grounds that his premises were unsuitable.
It was probably around this time that Enoch began to reconstruct the Inn, move and expand its premises. We can see the result on the map of East Street in 1880/81 (next page)
Enoch was also a keen poultry breeder and won several prizes at the annual Ilkeston Agricultural Show organised by the Ilkeston Farmers’ Club.
About 1876/77 he formed the Gladstone Angling Society, headquarters at the Gladstone Inn, with an initial membership of about 14.
By early 1881 membership had increased to 60 and by autumn of that year had reportedly exceeded 100.
Membership cost 1s entrance fee plus 2d per week subs.(1882) Season tickets to non-members were priced at half a crown (2/6d).
Enoch had rented part of the Erewash Canal extending from the Gallows Inn (Stenson’s Lock) to the Hallam Fields Lock for his members to fish there. The Canal Company stipulated that Enoch was not to allow Sunday fishing nor ‘netting’, and was not to obstruct or annoy the traders on the canal. As the members were ‘principally very respectable tradesmen of the town who derived a considerable amount of amusement from fishing’ any infringement of the Company’s rules was unlikely to occur.
The Society had also negotiated discount train fares with the Midland Railway Company so that its members could travel more cheaply to Kegworth, Castle Donington, Trent, Lowdham, Fiskerton, Newark, Collingham and Willington to fish there…… something that many had taken advantage of.
The Club’s annual prize-giving one Saturday evening in late October 1881 was preceded by a fishing competition on the Gallows Inn pond when the torrential rain kept competitor numbers down to about 20. The evening entertainment and subsequent meeting at the Inn was better attended and after a most substantial supper supplied by Enoch and his wife the gathering heard that the Society’s finances showed a healthy balance of £10. There were then toasts to the Honourable members, the Town and Trade of Ilkeston, Our National Defences, Our Host and Hostess, and the Chairman and Officers of the Society, each one accompanied by a ‘musical honour’ — a solo song sung by the more musical members (all male). Prizes were then distributed for the season’s heaviest catch of chub, perch, roach, dace and bleak.
There was not however time for the remainder of the prizes to be handed out and these were kept over until the following Monday — they included a copper kettle, a steel spade, a pair of trousers, a bottle of gin, a paraffin lamp, a tea pot, a tin of corned beef and a pork pie.
By September 1882 Enoch had spent over £500 enlarging the beerhouse and tried his luck at the Licensing Sessions again.
The Gladstone Arms was now headquarters not only of the Angling Association but of two friendly societies, and several important licensed victuallers in the town supported Enoch’s application for a full licence.
Once more he went home disappointed.
And he was similarly disappointed in August 1883.
An interesting fact
Enoch’s elder sister Mary married Edward Cox in 1840. Their daughter Ellen befriended the ‘notorious’ George Clay Smith and gave birth to their daughter, Sarah Ann, in July 1861.
We continue to examine Burr Lane by looking at the history of the Joseph Knighton Estate which extended over this part of Burr Lane.