From the Ilkeston Pioneer of November 1860. © Trustees of NEWSPLAN2000
By 1867 David had moved on to trade in the Market Place.The first one, empty for a long time, was afterwards taken by Scales & Salter’s, shoe people. The first shop was ‘Leeds House’ which in the early 1860’s was occupied by wholesale and retail shoe manufacturers H. Parker and J. Cupit. This firm experienced financial difficulties and was bankrupt by the end of 1865. At the end of March 1866 auctioneer Fred Paling offered for sale all the firm's stock and capital equipment ... 200 pairs of boots and shoes, laces, leather, iron and wood lasts, rolling machines, sewing and pricking machines, one weighing machine and a large cutting out machine, miscellaneous tools, fixtures, fittings and furniture. And into the premises in that March moved Scales and Salter, boot and shoe stores, a firm which was already established in Leeds, Liverpool and Derby. In 1866 the shop was granted permission by the Local Board to erect a window blind over the footpath. William Richard Lawson came to Bath Street from Pudsey near Leeds about 1870 with his wife and young daughter to be the manager of the stores, which were now numbered 106 Bath Street.
Isaac and Sarah occupying the crease together. Isaac would be happy with the site ... against the graveyard wall next to the Old Cricket Ground.
Past the shop of Isaac Gregory but below Jack Lee’s yard and up some steps were the old Smedley’s Alms Houses.