Across from Jonty’s neighbours in Mount Street we come to Club Row.
Health warning!! Trying to master the familial connections of the Club Row residents can result in serious headaches!!
Adeline commented on the frugality of house design in the 1850’s and 1860’s … “The builders of the thirties, forties and early fifties were very economical in their planning of cottages for the working class. This was apparent in Club Row, Mount Street, Weaver Row, Anchor Row, Albion Place, commonly called Jack Lee’s Yard, and West Street, known as Wide Yard. All these cottages had only one room downstairs and one entrance door.
“Some of these rows and yards are to be seen today and give an idea of how the working-class lived, and brought up their families.”
With the exception of Lawn Cottage, Club Row was really the boundary of houses to the west of the town. The terrace was sufficient to accommodate usually about 20 households.
Behind the Row – to the west — was Woodruffe’s Croft.
“First love is a kind of vaccination which saves a man from catching the complaint a second time”. (Honoré de Balzac)
Club Row had living in it many very loyal residents for whom this vaccination was ineffective. Adeline suggests several of them.
Adeline lists the names of the occupants she can remember: I have used her list here
Joseph ? Tilson
The 1841 census is the only one showing the presence of a Tilson. John Tilson is living there with his family.
He was the framework knitter son of John and Hannah (nee Bamford) and was married to Ann Clower, daughter of John and Sarah (nee Knighton).
Several of their children were baptised at St. Mary’s Church in 1842 when the family was still living in the Row.
John died in August 1848 and the rest of the family next appear at Pimlico which was to prove a more permanent home.
Baptism records also show that John’s younger brother Thomas, a warp hand, was living at the Row in 1854 with his wife Mabel (nee Stanley) when their children Eliza and Jonathon were baptised.
Adeline mentions Joseph Tilson, lacemaker, who was the youngest son of the family but there doesn’t — as yet — appear to be any evidence of his tenure there.
William and Joseph Lee
Brothers William and Joseph Lee were initially both pottery workers, sons of labourer Peter and Eliza (nee Straw) and spending their childhood at Evan’s Cottages at the Pottery.
When their mother and father died in July 1848 and December 1849 respectively it appears that they moved to Club Row with their younger brother Reuben to live in the household of their maternal grandmother, embroiderer Hannah Straw (nee Shaw).
She was a daughter of collier Humphrey Shaw and Hannah (nee Trueman) and widow, since December 1838, of collier Joseph Straw.
Not only did the Lee brothers join Hannah but also joined seven of her unmarried children and two other grandsons who were the illegitimate children of Hannah’s daughter Elizabeth, lace mender.
Grandmother Hannah herself had had at least one illegitimate child since the death of her husband but Herbert had died in infancy.
While several but not all of her children and grandchildren moved away from the Row — including William, Joseph and Reuben — Hannah remained there for the rest of her life and died there in November 1880, aged 84.
There was another Lee family in the Row.
In 1841 miller John Lee and his wife Elizabeth (nee Page) were living with Elizabeth’s illegitimate son William Page alias William Lee Page as well as the couple’s later legitimate children — Thomas, Betsy and Jehiel, a son who demonstrates the peril of having an unusual name.
Registrars, Church ministers, enumerators and a variety of other ‘officials’ would often ‘guess’ at the spelling of his name — Jeiel or Jahiel or Jeichel or even Ezekiel.
Though Jehiel himself knew how to spell it!!
And write it!!
In November 1853 William Lee Page married Thirza Henshaw, daughter of Samuel and Matilda (nee Barton), but stayed on in the Row.
Both John Lee (in March 1862) and Elizabeth Lee (in March 1878) died in Club Row while son William and his family were firmly established at number 3.
One member of this family was ‘adopted’ daughter Betsy Straw, taken in almost from birth after her natural mother Betsy (nee Barber) died in childbirth and father John went to live with his parents Richard and Hannah (nee Fisher) in Cotmanhay.
Both William Lee and Thirza died at number 3 in February 1901 and March 1903 respectively.
Living close by was John Lee’s sister Elizabeth, born in 1797. She had married labourer John Farnsworth on November 29th, 1826 and by 1851 she was a seamstress widow living in the Row, with her two daughters Elizabeth junior and Ann.
Daughter Elizabeth junior married labourer John Robinson on April 17th, 1870 and for a few years left Club Row to live in Hall Croft Place.
The couple returned in the late 1880’s and settled down at number 2 Club Row.
Elizabeth junior’s elder sister Ann had married Codnor-born colliery engine driver John Neal senior on July 17th, 1853, after which she continued to live in the Row.
And the Neal couple and their children were to live at number 2 for many years.
One of their sons was John Neal junior alias Sheddie Kyme, born in Ilkeston in 1864, who left the town about 1884 — migrating eastwards, eventually into Lincolnshire.
At Louth in 1901 he married Pearl, daughter of hotel keeper Daniel Drakes Richardson and Emma (nee Alderman).
Another son and younger brother of John junior was needlemaker Joseph Neal born in 1868.
By the time of his marriage to Elizabeth Ann Fisher (alias Hazledine, the illegitimate daughter of Frances?) in 1888 Joseph was working as a postman.
After the marriage and accompanied by Joseph’s father, John senior, the couple left Club Row to live at 9 Taylor Street and it was there that their son Arthur John Neal was born in August 1891.
However, towards the end of 1893 Joseph began to harbour suspicions that he was not the father of Arthur John despite the assertions to the contrary of his wife. She blamed Joseph’s aunt Elizabeth Robinson for spreading these ‘false accusations’ and was severely wounded by the fact that her husband would not believe her rather than his aunt.
In November 1893 the couple separated. Joseph Neal and his father returned to Club Row to live at Number 2 with aunt Elizabeth Robinson. Wife Elizabeth Ann with Arthur John moved into Bloomsgrove Road, being paid a weekly maintenance by her husband.
By January of 1894 Joseph admitted ‘his terrible mistake’ and wanted a reconciliation, but for Elizabeth Ann it was too late. She could not forgive Joseph. He had blackened her good name and she threatened to apply for a judicial separation and leave Ilkeston.
Joseph was distraught and descended into taciturn depression.
Early one Saturday morning in January 1894 Elizabeth Robinson came downstairs at Number 2 Club Row and on entering the kitchen she saw an open exercise book on the table. Joseph had written a note….
“Goodbye. Do not grieve for me. I am not worth a thought. I take to myself all the blame for this terrible business. Lizzie is one of the best girls that ever lived. Go to her – comfort her if you can. If you get the insurance money from Mr. Chambers, give father £5 and my wife the rest. I leave the world happier than I can ever be to stay in it, after all that has happened. I feel that it is the only way to set things right. God bless you all. Forget me, and forgive me if you can”.
The police were quickly informed and later the same morning Joseph’s body was discovered in the Nutbrook Canal.
Seven months after his suicide Joseph’s widow married Frederick John Charlesworth, Superintendent in an assurance company, and moved out of Ilkeston with her son Arthur John.
The eldest son of John and Ann Neal was William, born in 1854, who left school aged 10 — and thereafter he was practically self-taught. He went into the printing trade and travelled from Ilkeston to Nottingham and thence on to Bicester, Oxfordshire, From 1883 he was the chief reporter and sub-editor at the Surrey & Hants Times, based at Farnham. He died there, at “Brankshome” in Tilford Road, on May 2nd 1898.
A member of the Wesleyan Methodist and a very ‘busy’ and much-loved lay preacher in the area.
Suffering from chronic bronchitis, Ann Neal died on November 24th, 1879, aged 52. On July 19th, 1897, aged 69, John Neal senior died at 2 Club Row, then the home of his sister-in-law Elizabeth and her husband John Robinson.
John and Elizabeth Robinson were still living at number 2 on the 1911 Census. Elizabeth died at that address on December 4th 1915, aged 81, and less than a week later John died there, aged 79.
Samuel Aldred, cordwainer and son of Samuel and Mary (nee Ottewell) was living at Club Row in 1841 with his family but moved from the area and into Bath Street before Adeline was born.
The Grimleys were another family who seemed much attached to the Row.
Framework knitter John and his wife Mirah (nee Trueman), daughter of collier William and Mary (nee Webster) raised several daughters and one son at number 7.
Both parents died there in November 1891 and April 1893 respectively and are buried in Stanton Road cemetery.
After their death daughter Harriet continued to live at number 7 with her second husband, engineer’s fitter Richard Statham, but after the turn of the century she did manage to prise herself away.
Not very far though.
She moved to number 6 Fullwood Street, where she died in April 1927, aged 68.
Living at number 6 was Barwell-born framework knitter Stephen Moore, married to Maria, the widow of collier George Dean, and the daughter of collier Thomas Dodd and Mary (nee Whiteacre).
On June 19th, 1870 Maria Moore died, aged 60, and less than a year later Stephen had found another love — he married again to Hannah (nee English), the widow of George Youngman, bookseller of South Street who had died on Christmas Day of 1866.
Stephen’s elder son of his first marriage, collier James Moore, married Sarah Ann Clifford, daughter of Joseph and Mary (nee Hardy) on October 17th, 1859 and they initially made their home at the same address in Club Row. Their first child, born a month after her parents’ marriage, was Mary Ann Moore. Mike Hallam has attached some interesting items on her, her husband and their family — we will look at them on the next page.
When Sarah Ann died a few years — February 8th, 1865 — James remarried to Mary Ann Crow, in 1867, and moved out of Ilkeston to Babbington.
Stephen’s other son, miner Charles, married his step-sister Hannah Youngman on March 18th, 1872 – gaining his step-mother as his mother-in-law – and then moved out of Club Row and into Nottinghamshire.
Stephen continued to live at number 6 Club Row where his second wife Hannah died of chronic bronchitis on November 30th 1881, aged 69. Aged 71, he married for a third time on October 5th 1890. His bride was Avice (nee Fisher), who had previously been married to Enoch Johnson, a Shipley coalminer who had moved north to Rotherham with Avice, where he had died in 1885.
Stephen Moore died on February 5th, 1898 – guess where?
Adeline’s ‘Wutherds’ may refer to a brief ‘Wathey’ presence in Club Row.
Born in 1851 Maria Wathey was the illegitimate daughter of Eliza and was living with her mother and step-father William Shrives at 15 Club Row when she gave birth to her son Harry Wathey in September 1869.
Maria had a second illegitimate child, Eliza Wathey, born in November 1871.
When she married coalminer George Walters in October 1872, Maria left Harry with her mother in Club Row while Eliza lived with her mother and step-father in their Attenborough Row home and adopted the name of Walters.
However when she married coalminer William Tyler in 1889 daughter Eliza had reverted to ‘Wathey’.
Eliza Ann Wathey was born in Club Row in March 1871, the daughter of coalminer William – elder brother of Maria and the first illegitimate child of Eliza – and Mary Ann (nee White), who had married in February 1870.
A month later, at the time of the census, Eliza Ann was still at 15 Club Row, living with her grandmother Eliza, while her father had moved to work in Leicestershire, accompanied by his wife.
By the time of the 1881 census the family had been reunited – and had increased.
The 1841 census shows Mary Waters, aged 40 and Hannah Waters, aged 13, living in the Row.
In the mid 1860’s Joseph Walters was living in Club Row.
George Hudson Walters, son of Trowell-born canal boatman John and Elizabeth (nee Hudson) died there in 1864, aged 18.
There had to be a ‘Harrison’ !!! This Harrison family arrived at Club Row in the 1850’s from Mount Street ….. less than a stone’s throw away.
Coalminer Samuel had married Eliza Lebeter on September 4th, 1832 and the couple lived there with their children.
Their eldest child Joseph, coalminer, married Elizabeth Ann Lebeter, eldest daughter of Common coalminer James and Mary (nee Shaw) in May 1856 and lived as neighbour to his parents. He was at number 4, his parents occupying number 5.
Elizabeth Ann lived her married life in the Row and died there in January 1882.
Just over a year later Joseph Harrison married his second wife, Thirza Fisher, daughter of Cotmanhay labourer John and Hannah (Eaton).
Joseph never moved out of Club Row after his first marriage and died at number 4 in February 1912.
Second son Samuel Harrison junior married Ann Clifford, daughter of Club Row brickmaker John and Charlotte (nee West) in March 1868 and lived at number 16 until he broke free of the Row to escape into Station Road.
His younger brother Paul married Sarah Ann Ellis, daughter of James Wilson Ellis and Charlotte (nee Mee) on April 2nd, 1866 and moved into number 1. They lived all their married life at this house, all their 12 children were born there including the last child, Paul junior, who was born two months after the death of his father, at number 1, in 1892.
Their daughter Beatrice was born there in 1`888 and — like too many Victorian infants — suffered her burning accident (setting her clothes on fire) in December 1890 which led to her being admitted into the Cottage Hospital where she died shortly after.
And number 1 was also a crime scene in December 1866.
About six o’clock in the evening recently-married Sarah Ann Harrison was collecting in her washing from the back-yard line when she noticed a pair of drawers and a chemise were missing.
Word of the theft spread and a few days later she was called to an ‘identity parade’ at the premises of pawnbroker Joseph Moss where she picked out her undergarments.
Further investigation revealed that subsequent to the theft, the garments had made an appearance at the lodging house of Joseph Harrison in Nottingham Road, in the possession of Mary Loftus who had tried to pawn them via an intermediary, Maria Pepper. That was when the suspicions of Mr. Moss were aroused.
The search was on for Mary Loftus.
However she had been forewarned by William Henshaw junior, ‘son’ of fishmonger William — who we will meet shortly in Bath Street — and she had promptly left for Leeds, accompanied by William junior.
The couple returned to Ilkeston two months later and Mary was apprehended when William Henshaw senior then handed her over to the police.
At once Mary panicked and tried to ‘finger’ William junior as the thief while she claimed that she was only the receiver of stolen goods… and as the Henshaw premises backed onto and overlooked Club Row, they would provide a ready opportunity to steal the items.
However it was Mary who found herself at Ilkeston Petty Sessions, accused of the theft, it was Mary who was found guilty, and it was Mary who served 14 days in prison.
Her ‘accomplice’ Maria Pepper was tried at Derby Assizes where she pleaded guilty to receiving stolen goods and was sentenced to four months imprisonment.
Four years after the crime – in December 1870 — William Henshaw junior and Mary Loftus were married at Christ Church in Cotmanhay.
Mary Ann, the only surviving daughter in the Harrison family, also continued to live at Club Row with her parents for some time after her marriage to miner Joseph Pheasant in March 1868, before moving into Byron Street.
Eliza Harrison died at Byron Street in May 1885, at the home of her daughter Mary Ann and her family, aged 74. Samuel died in March 1889, aged 80.
There were several Straws in Club Row but evidence of a lasting Shaw presence has so far proved difficult to find. (although, see below)
As we have seen Hannah Straw (nee Shaw) was at number 9 with her children and grandchildren.
When married her son Vincent Straw, framework knitter, spent some years in Burr Lane before returning to the Row in the mid-1860s with his wife Eliza (nee Crossley), the illegitimate daughter of Mary Crossley, and their six surviving children.
Four more children were added after the move.
In 1876 Vincent suffered ‘pecuniary difficulties’ and the Brothers Ray Star Troupe of Minstrels came to his rescue.
In September, at John Trueman’s Durham Ox Inn, the Troupe performed an entertainment which included “Marches, Gallops, Nigger Sketches, Songs, large and small Clog Dancing &co &co”.
All proceeds to be donated to Vincent’s ‘hardship fund’.
Admission was 6d, doors open 7pm for a 7.30pm start.
Vincent died in Club Row in June 1886, aged 62.
I can as yet find no evidence of Stevensons in the Row but other long-term residents included the families of ….
William Dodd, coalminer.
William Trueman, blacksmith.
Charles Parsons, lacemaker.
William Kelly, brick maker.
Griffen Briggs, iron miner.
Elizabeth Allcock (nee Turton) widow of Charles.
Thomas Flinders, labourer — and several other occupations!
John Meakin, framework knitter.
Edward Staniforth, lacemaker.
James Henshaw, framework knitter, his natural children by his two wives and step-children by his second wife who had been married twice before.
The 1851 Census entry for this Henshaw household reflects its ‘rich’ (and convoluted) family relationships.
Head of the house is thrice-widowed washerwoman Fanny Henshaw (nee Chambers), whose husbands had been lace hand John Thompson, warp hand Thomas Scattergood and the above-mentioned framework knitter James Henshaw.
With her are unmarried children Fanny Thompson, Edwin, Emily and Sarah Thompson Scattergood, and Ambrose and Amos Henshaw.
And — just for good measure — Fanny’s brother George Chambers, son of framework knitter Richard and Fanny (nee Walker).
And later in the 19th century we have the Brocklehurst family moving in.
This family came to the area about 1852 when John Brocklehurst of Duffield married Caroline Fletcher at St. Wilfrid’s Church in West Hallam on June 3rd, 1852. The family then lived in Moors Bridge Lane, close to Straw’s Bridge. By the 1880s they had moved into Club Row where John died in 1893.
One of their children was William, born on March 2nd 1862 and who was living in the Row when he married Alice Ann Wright on December 26th 1882.
In August 1895 one of their sons Edward, a lad of nearly 11, was playing in the Row with a neighbour’s son when the neighbour, William Shaw, came out of number 15 (though he lived at number 14). He seemed to say something to Edward, who remained silent, and then struck him in the face, drawing blood. Alice Ann came out to remonstrate with William who immediately thought the mother should also feel his fists. She too was beaten on the face and arms, had three teeth loosened and suffered facial bleeding. The police were called and found the two bleeding Brocklehursts, along with a drunken William Shaw and his mate Michael Waldron, who were ‘horsing around’.
When the case later came to the Petty Sessions an alternative story was presented, mainly by Michael Waldron (who was very familiar with court appearances). He argued that the lad Edward had first thrown a stone at his mate William, knocking his pipe out of his mouth, and that was when William had struck him. The mother had then come out and struck William first. So it was a case of William giving in to severe provocation !!
There seemed to be some mitigation, as a result of the conflicting testimony: William was charged only costs of 10s 6d, with respect to the assault on Edward, though he was fined 10s with 14s costs for the attack on Alice Ann.
Almost two years later, in July 1897, Edward was now aged 12 and had not been attending school regularly — thanks to the lax attitude to education adopted by his father William. Edward had been “frequenting the company of reputed thieves” and had been convicted of larceny. It was therefore ordered that he be sent to a certified industrial school until the age of 16; and off he went, accompanied by his mate and “reputed thief” 12-year-old Frederick Lane
We shall meet Edward again, and his younger brother Enoch, when we come to Pete Dawson’s scrapbook.
The sad death of Luke Shaw
Meanwhile William Shaw continued to live at 14 Club Row, with his wife Sarah Elizabeth (nee Williams) and their expanding family of Shaw children born in the Row. William was born in Penistone, Yorkshire about 1871, although his parents George and Rachel (nee Henshaw) were both born in Ilkeston. The family had returned to Ilkeston in the 1880s and Rachel Shaw died at 14 Club Row on January 18th, 1889.
William married Sarah Elizabeth Williams on August 27th, 1892.
On the Saturday night of November 9th, 1895 Sarah Elizabeth Shaw was visited at her Club Row home by Luke Brown, a 30-year-old colliery labourer (on and off) whom she had known for a couple of years. He was a frail chap, being treated by the doctor for much of his adult life, and was in the habit of drinking laudanum to alleviate his coughing and help him sleep at night. He was looking for somewhere to sleep for the night before he went to Basford Workhouse the next day. Sarah Elizabeth reluctantly offered him a bed, but on the next day Luke didn’t go to the workhouse as planned — he didn’t even get out of bed and had nothing to eat. It wasn’t until Monday morning that he got up, had a drink of tea, but seemed so unwell that Sarah Elizabeth was advised to call in Dr. Tobin. All this time, Luke sat motionless in a chair in front of the fire, not eating, and seemingly unable to communicate. The doctor was of the opinion that he was suffering the effects of laudanum and suggested he be taken to Basford Hospital. The relieved officer, William Nunn, agreed that Luke should be quickly admitted to hospital.
Later on Monday, Luke’s brother Joseph came to see him but he was stll unresponsive, in a semicomatose state — now lying on a sofa in the kitchen. Soon after six oclock that evening an almost unconscious Luke arrived at Basford hospital, taken there in a cab by his brother. His stomach was ‘washed out’ by the doctor there, the latter finding no trace of laudanum. Luke then had a drink of warm coffee which seemed to revive him. However he died the following morning.
At two subsequent inquest meetings, the jury expressed the view that Luke, being in an unconscious state and suspected of taking laudanum, should not have been moved from Ilkeston. A post mortem had been conducted by the doctor at Basford Hospital, who found no traces of any drug, but did find that Luke’s lungs were heavily congested and showing distinct signs of bronchitis, while his heart was diseased and enlarged — these were what caused death, and not the taking of laudanum, in his opinion. However he could not rule out that Luke had taken the drug in the last few days.
Dr. John Joseph Tobin gave evidence at both inquest meetings, evidence which was conflicting, at least to one jury member. On the first occasion Dr. Tobin stated that Luke appeared to be suffering from an intake of laudanum, but by the later hearing he had changed his mind — now he believed that heart disease was the main problem. In either case, in the eyes of the doctor Luke was by then a ‘doomed man’ .. no amount of treatment could prolong his life, and that he was surprised that the sick man had been taken to Nottingham. There was a hospital at Ilkeston but it was for ‘accident cases‘. At this point the suspicious juryman inferred that perhaps Dr. Tobin was a ‘quack’ to which the doctor replied that the next time he had a case like this, he would send for the juryman !!!
In summing up the Coroner mentioned that it was a pity that such a large town like Ilkeston didn’t have a hospital where such cases could be accommodated.
Post script: William Shaw died in 1903. In the following year his widow married her neighbour at Club Row, William Brocklehurst, whose wife, Alice Ann (nee Wright) had died in 1900 … and who we have just met above.
And at various times a variety of Hutchinsons inhabited the Row, including West Hallam-born coalminer Samuel, sister-in-law Hannah (nee Rigley) and Samuel’s son John.
And then there was Ann Hutchinson !!
Born on February 7th 1843 she was the daughter of collier Joseph and Hannah (nee Rigley). In the mid-1840’s Joseph seems to have ‘abandoned’ Hannah who was then comforted by Joseph’s nephew John Hutchinson who lived in Club Row – he was the son of Samuel and his first wife Ann (nee Skevington). The result of this ‘comfort’ was the birth of John junior on April 25th 1845, who was thus half-brother to Ann as well as her first cousin once removed.
In 1865, and already the mother of two illegitimate sons William and John, Ann married Codnor-born ironstone miner John Briggs whose family had for many years lived in the Row. John and Ann Briggs made their home at number 8 and added seven more children before John died in Club Row in January 1881, aged 42.
Another illegitimate son — Albert Briggs — was born in 1883 to Ann, followed by another marriage in 1892, to Chapel Street coalminer and widower James Smith who was ‘obliged’ to move into number 8. James was a third cousin of the notorious George Clay Smith of Smith’s yard — but I won’t pursue this connection any further !!
They remained there into the next century and Ann died at number 8 in 1920, aged 76.
And as for Ann’s first cousin John, who had befriended her mother, — he left home one Sunday morning in July (5th) 1857 with a group of pals, after eating a hearty breakfast. On the walk he complained of feeling ill and had to return home, but not before calling to see Dr. Murray at the Market Place. There he received a little medicine which seemed to revive him, such that John was able to walk home. Accompanied by Ann, he went upstairs, turned as if to speak to her and immediately fell down dead, ‘from disease of the heart’.
You probably need a computer programme to cope with these relationships of the Club Row residents.
Now, as promised, we can glance at Mike Hallam’s page on the Hallam family, including Club Row resident Mary Ann Moore, who married Thomas Hallam, coalminer and later baker/grocer of Station Road.